we are all felons now

I hope this is a troll, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's real. Either way, they can come arrest me if they think giving my mom my netflix password is a jailable offense.

The password sharing thing seemed too good to be true. You're basically giving someone a service for free that they should be paying for. Not much different than burning a music CD (lol hi 2001) or copying a game and giving it to them. Someone just gave me their HBO Go password so I could catch up on Game of Thrones, and ngl, I felt a bit dirty using it, but I really don't pirate anything so take that for what it's worth.

I'm not surprised that it this happened though.

Shitty reporting -- though to be fair shit decision writing. All this case really says is that if you leave a business to start a competing one and later ask your former assistant to provide her username and password so you can steal proprietary information from your former employer then that’s very probably illegal.

^ agreed. But going back to the ripped CD instance mentioned (or more recently the FBI and MIAA harassing ppl about downloading music) let's look at this. These people that will jail you for downloading music are also the same ones that won't touch Hillary Clinton for completely disregarding national security policies on classified information. IMO they have no validity.

Yay politics! The thread ender. But seriously, blanket statements like 'any password sharing is grrr evil and jail and other mean words to scare you into being a docile puppy' are absurd. Netflix passwords, HBO GO passwords =! proprietary information (a la Hillary, Snowden, tax fraud (yes your SSN can be considered a password). The only correct response to stuff like this is E.A.D.

Back
Top Bottom