Weapon mods after 250

Draeos

Dalayan Elder
So its come to my attention that someone parsed it and weapon mods do nothing after 250, maybe swiftur could post his parses, but have i been building my toon around things that do nothing this entire time is this intended?!?! Tell me this is just a bug!

How much of a difference are you expecting? If its 3% or less parsers are not going to reliably pick it up.

Do these skill mods do anything though? Some recent parses and theory crafting are suggesting they do nothing at all...

Do these skill mods do anything though? Some recent parses and theory crafting are suggesting they do nothing at all...

I heard from a dev once that 25 skill is ~2% accuracy, ~2% more damage, which is nearly unparseable increase.

I don't have any logs of my parses. I'll do it again and post everything up here. If there is actually a difference at 250+ like @j883376 is saying, then its not visible on an hour long parse. However 225 > 245 skill was HUGE.

welcome to the life of a melee DPS, where you have no clue how the fuck a majority of things effect your character. Weapon mods, stats, double attack mod, how haste(dual wield mod) effects you. A lot of these things are pretty unclear in how they work (not the actual calculations, but the information available to players). I once asked about the specifics of double attack mod (can it trigger off of it self, can it proc weapons OR rbow, does it trigger from offhand?) and was just told to go and parse it.

Doesn't seem to be the case, since going from 225 to 250 is a massive parse-able boost, and 250-275 is so minor it doesn't show up in a parse (if it does anything at all).

As far as I remember, weapon skill mods do the same thing weapon skills do, at the same rate.
yeah that's entirely not correct. If that is the intended way, and it gets fixed, melee dps classes will see a massive boost in dps

parsed it abit myself last night with 2 1hs weapons looking only at accuracy with GoE and shammy stats so my dex was max both times, beat on a level 65 white con for about 16000 swings each parse one with +25 1hs one with +0 1hs controlled for everything else, got 64.9% with +25 62.4% with 0 1hs mod, seems to support jumbers its not the largest sample size but its not tiny either, take what you will from it.

Edit: Some other fun things i noticed with this parse. I beat the same amount of HP out of this mob both times and my average from the front DPS with Caretaker's Will and custo sword was 225, my average DPS with Caretaker's and Yivslyer, 195, i guess a guaranteed ratio of 1 and 75% overhaste proc only nets you 30dps go figure? i feel like that can't be right but who knows?

Also my melee crit rate over about 30k swings was 43.5% someone told me this might be a little high? Also idk.

Last edited:
Just checked: still the way I remember it.

ATK gains from weapon skills are linear.

Accuracy is a bit more complicated. Your "skill" for the accuracy check is the average of your weapon skill and your offense skill, so above 250 you're only getting half.

Also: level differences and DEX generally count for more. Your NPC target gets a "skill" value based on its level. If your skill value is lower, you get hosed. If your skill value is higher, your bonus is 1/5 of what the equivalent penalty would be for being lower by the same amount.

Quick example math: level 65, 305 effective DEX, offense = weapon skill but capped at 250, versus a level 50 target:
Code:
225: 66.2%
230: 67.4%
235: 68.7%
240: 69.9%
245: 71.2%
250: 72.4%
255: 72.9%
260: 73.7%
265: 74.2%
270: 74.9%
275: 75.4%
Thanks to level differences, we're always above par. Notice that 225 - 250 does count about twice as much as 250 - 275. (250 - 275 is a bit jumpy because the average of weapon skill and offense gets truncated [255 -> 252, 260 -> 255, effectively])

Now, all the same stats, but against a level 60 target:
Code:
225: 34.5%
230: 40.8%
235: 47%
240: 53.3%
245: 59.5%
250: 65.8%
255: 66.3%
260: 67%
265: 67.5%
270: 68.3%
275: 68.8%
Notice that below 250, you're getting owned.

I'm not sure what situation you were parsing 225 to 250 in, whether it was controlled for target level and dex and whether it focused on accuracy, but if it was in a below-par situation it's easy to see that it would be a huge jump... but only because it's relieving a giant penalty.

Zaela, you are the best! Thanks for looking into this!

If I'm understanding things correctly, it sounds like offense skill is only as strong as weapon skill, with its advantages just being that it affects all weapon types, and stacks with weapon skill that would be capped at 25, but point for point, on the same weapon, they are equally beneficial.

If that is correct it seems like offense could be distributed a little more generously across gear, as a way to grant meele dps progression outside of weapon upgrades, which tend to be big jumps and harder to balance.

I've been working out parsing monk fists and in the process using weapons as a base to work from. When I used a HtH weapon(+21hth) 8/18 in one hand and 1Hb(+0 1hb) 8/18 in the other I came up with 74.2% vs 71.3% pure accuracy. 74.2/71.3=1.0407. 64.9/62.4=1.0401. This is with only ~4500 swings each, but we're in the ballpark for sure. This doesn't include evade's though, which will decrease overall +dps (from the front only?) I was kind of hoping it was +.2% per point like +evoc/alt, but I doubt it's that simple.

Now that I look at it, my average hits were 26.632 vs 25.858. +1.0299. (This was on undead guardsman, freeport, so no crit noise) Maybe there's something there also, but I would need many more runs at that kind of difference.

Monk fist stuff to come soon.

Back
Top Bottom