Why Men & Women Cannot Be "Just" Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ladder theory is one of those things that has been conclusively debunked at least a million times and yet lives on and on and on.

Yeah, but whenever someone takes it seriously on a message board, the internet sheds a tear. :[

Wiz said:
Yeah, but whenever someone takes it seriously on a message board, the internet sheds a tear. :[

Then maybe you should lighten up and not take it so seriously ... :lol:

Ironically, what makes things like that subject (and many other "thouchy subjects" ) so funny is that there is a ring of truth behind it.

Not true, but I'm sure if given the opportunity, many men would sleep with most of the female friends of thiers. Not all at once, or all or them, but as a subconsious question of sex between him and one female friend taken for every female friend.

It should not be all that absurd, but a lot of things which are initially looked for for friendship are the same as we look for a mate. Other situations of friendship debunk this, such as long time friends from childhood or friends you have gotten to know through other friends.

If any of my female friends turn out to be ugly, I stop talking to them.

Homogenn said:
iaeolan said:
Not all at once

:? :? :?

I did not want to phrase it so that 'you' would be given the option to bang every single female friend you have. When given a large selection of women, it is only normal to say you wouldn't for the ones lower on the ladder.

Think of it as a game of 'would you hit it?' with yourself, subconsiously, and which would be forgotten every time you answer so that it would not affect any other answers.

There is more truth to that theory than you think. It certainly is not an exact science like the website claims, and while the motivations aren't 100% boning, the theory is pretty much spot-on. One of the most studied and verified theories in social psychology is the concept CLAlt (Comparison Level of Alternatives). People in relationships are in them to the extent that they think they couldn't do better. If someone judges their chances at finding someone better as relatively high, they'll drop what they have and go for it. It explains perfectly why exes are so complicated. Someone drops their boy-/girlfriend in anticipation of finding someone better, and doesn't, so they go back to them briefly then drop them again trying to find better. CLAlt is pretty much a proven concept.

I think you can find a lot more behind the scenes than just the desire for what's better.

Eredhel

I don't want this sheer idiocy on my forums. People who take ladder theory seriously need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom