Wiki changes

If the wiki wasn't so dark that would be ...

• Awful

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Awesome

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rari

Game Master
The wiki is a community project, but I know editing can be daunting. I'm going to be working on a style update and main page overhaul over the next few weeks and I wanted to start it in the right way by asking folks to give their feedback. Is there anything you'd like to see added or changed? This doesn't have to just be just style-related, so if there is anything you feel is missing, lacking or you'd just like to see changed on the wiki, please let me know.

All the new player stuff should be the first thing people see other than the banner.
-How to get started
-Server Rules
-Why SoD
-Difference between SoD/Live
-Donations
-Leveling Guide
-Hunting Guide
-Starting Area Quest Guide
-Controls
-Commands
-Blessed Zones
-Etc.

The rest of us know how to navigate the wiki because we have been around a while, but things need to be super easy for new guys and people wanting to check out SoD.

I also think that any wiki news stuff, if you keep that section, should go to the bottom. It just isn't updated enough to merit being right at the top.

Cool project BTW :)

I like checking the Recent Changes page every now and then but 99% of it is spam account creation. If there was some way to change the account creation process to prevent this, or simply not have account creations appear on the Recent Changes page, that would be cool.

The color/style of the wiki seems fine to me as-is.

The style update on my end will be accompanied by a software update on Jumbers'. Spam bots will be addressed with the software update. They have certainly become a problem again - I spent a few hours clearing up spam pages and accounts a few days ago, so I totally feel you on this one and we are totally aware it is a problem.

It would be sweet if there was an easy way to group things. Much like the bow page you made for me but perhaps more automated.

Example: I am a monk looking for a possible leg upgrade. I can search and blam there is a list of all the legs on the wiki that monks can use. Then I can filter that searth out some with only legs that have over 100 hp. Next I could put them in order by how much STR they have.

Hopefully that is a little clear. I just miss some of the features wowhead had to aid in finding gear.

Also, thanks for deleting all of the spam pages I flagged. I will try to help you with anything I can, just let me know!

Yeah it's nice to be able to see every item that a given class can equip for a certain slot, but being able to add other filters or sorting the list in other ways would be sweet.

guessing thats probably due to the string value nature of the field. a fix to that might be to put skill mods in one column and then a skill mod value in another but not positive on that obviously as i cant see the code behind it.

I think it would be neat to have a deity page template, with links to the mob, faction, deity questline, lore tidbits, related zones, etc.

Also I think it would be nice to have item drops by category. It may be possible to do this already, but I was hoping to test a way to do this soon. The idea is that instead of listing like every single mid-tier gem a mob or group of mobs (ie gemathians) that we could add that this mob drops "mid-tier gems" which would then link to a category list of whats considered a 'mid tier gem'. also useful for classes of weapons and armor (ie this mob drops platemail pieces)

1 other minor bug is that skills mods don't sort nicely.
These should sort now. I'm sure there are similar issues elsewhere, though.

I know that having some sort of deeper sorting mechanic (a 'la wowhead) is wanted -- it has been requested for years, but afaik it's simply not something that is feasible with our wiki. Even the category sorting can be hard on the server.

I think it would be neat to have a deity page template, with links to the mob, faction, deity questline, lore tidbits, related zones, etc.
I like the idea of the deity pages; I'd started looking into that last time, actually. I'll have to look and see if enough information has been gathered to make it happen now.

On a similar note, I'd like to redo the faction pages, but that may be a relatively complicated project.

Can't respond to everything right now -- a lot of suggestions and hopefully more to come. While my main focus right now is going to be cleaning up CSS and standardizing layout, knowing what priorities the community has now will really help direct my endeavors.

Is there any way to audit the error messages kicked out by the wiki (without going to every single page?)
-this page does not comply with formating
-not data available, etc...

If you can run an audit of this stuff and dump the info to .xls or something, the pages can be fixed as part of a crowd source project. I've seen some of these errors before and fixed some of them, and forgotten to fix some of them...

Is there any way to audit the error messages kicked out by the wiki (without going to every single page?)
-this page does not comply with formating
-not data available, etc...

If you can run an audit of this stuff and dump the info to .xls or something, the pages can be fixed as part of a crowd source project. I've seen some of these errors before and fixed some of them, and forgotten to fix some of them...

Those sort of alerts are created by templates. Those same templates add categories to those pages, and you can find those categories collected here: http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Category:Wiki_Maintenance

I have my own page I use to monitor various minor issues: http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/User:Rari/Error_detection

Pages with unknown sources can be found here: http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Category:Unknown_source (this is linked from the front page)

The wiki community page for projects may also be useful: http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/SoDWiki:Projects

Also, some mobs with multiple zones/static locations will lose the space between their loc and location details after the first zone/loc entry. An example that comes to mind is: http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/A_blind_transcendent

If you check the info box you'll see a difference in the top entry (field of bones) and the rest. This might just be my error. I've attempted to adjust it to no avail so far. This is ultimately just a minor/aesthetic change, but figured I'd mention it.

Infobox thingy fixed - just a missing space in a template.

Still working on the CSS when I get home from work at night. I can try to post some preview images in a few days. Focusing on a brighter version right now, just because it's always going to be more compatible. Once that's working well, I can look into creating another dark version.

Infobox thingy fixed - just a missing space in a template.

Still working on the CSS when I get home from work at night. I can try to post some preview images in a few days. Focusing on a brighter version right now, just because it's always going to be more compatible. Once that's working well, I can look into creating another dark version.

blah blah blah. hiiiiiiiiiiiiii tiny frog

Kfdvgh4.png

There are some further content changes on the main pageI'd like to make, but I'm trying to not get too side-tracked. The blessed zone section will work normally on the main site, but is obviously broken on my production copy.

I wanted to post these because I know a change like this can be easier to see than read about. Again, this change isn't being made just to make a change. Having a working and well supported "light" skin variant will make software upgrades a lot smoother in the future. Once this is well in place, I can start looking at making another "dark" variation. For more image comparisons, check out this imgur album. Not all changes are pictured, but hopefully enough to give a good feel for the coming changes.

I hope the dark skin comes out really quickly or at the same time as the wiki changes to the bright skin. I hate looking at white backgrounds.

I'm glad people seem to like what I have so far. Was playing around with something like this last night (again taking inspiration from the GW2 wiki) ...

q1PiH8x.png

@Cinny There will be at least partial support at launch via the Monobook style. Vector will be the default skin, but you can change skins in preferences.

hOG3L2Q.png

Back
Top Bottom