Revisiting downtime

Sorry bro, Captin Venerate doesn't relax. Even during AFKs.
I must continue the fight for justice.

Also I can't stress enough how medding during death effects isn't going to shorten downtime on most wipes. Only on the wipes where you camp a cleric or FD someone out will you save some time, and you're only going to get back maybe a minute or two on those wipes.

The worst wipes, complete wipes will be just as long. It has got to include something that makes rezzing not drain your mana completely.

What if rezzes that cost mana also restore that % of your current mana? So a 50% rez gives you 50% of the mana you were rezzed with, 96% rez 96% of current mana, etc. And it excludes clicky rezzes so rezzers would have work a little bit harder than just using a rez clicky for greater benefit.

Well.... it really discourages them everytime something goes wrong, it is a negative reinforcement. If anything the punishment for a wipe simply encourages one to do things where wipes are less likely. In other words it steers guildls to the easier and well known content rather than the hard and new. What encourages guilds to play well and not wipe is the simple fact that if you win you get loots, the loots are the encouragement. The vast ammount of time spent buffing/medding/killing trash/wiping/repeating are, in reality, the discouraging factors of the raid game and why not every guild steamrolls right up to top tier. At least killing trash is an active obstacle that can still be seen as "fun", at least one can get better at killing trash or feel like they should play well in order to kill trash more quickly. The real problem I have is that downtime is an extremely boring consequence of raiding, there is nothing you can do to make it take less time (after a certain point) to sit there and watch that blue bar fill up.

PS. I do not think that wipes should take less than 10 minutes to recover from but they also should not take the 20+ minutes they do now. There is a reason we don't lose exp on death here, too extreme of punishment makes the game frustrating and no fun, but having no punishments for screwing up make the game feel trivial and also less fun. The difficult part is balancing the punishment so that the game remains challenging but not disheartening, luckily thats why we have such a great staff!

Edited By Staff: Post Removed for Inappropriate Content

Last edited:
I'm stating my opinion, not making a call for the staff.

Silence that allowed clickies would be fine as well, really.

What about extending the duration of cleric's target DA to 6 ticks? This would put it just on the edge of a full camp timer.

It's got a 90ish minute reuse. It requires players to do something other than beg for mercy on the forums. You can still get summoned while you're sitting and camping and DA'd so it's by no means foolproof. It's not really used for anything else besides a DA you can use while your spells are on refresh. It's a match made in heaven.

on a different topic: Please don't respond to this thread to get into an argument with budrick. Please.

While I agree downtime after whiping is a pain. It almost feels like a necessary evil. If downtime was significantly lowered I could see an instance of some guilds progressing faster while others progress SLOWER.

Now I know there are plenty of targets to snipe as is. But imagine guilds in similar tiers competing over targets. This biggest limitation to how much a guild can get done in one raid is TIME. By decreasing the amount of time it takes to down a certain target. You allow that raid to down more targets within an allotted time. The more targets 1 guild downs the less targets that are left for other guilds afterwards.

Just my 2cp. Flame on

While I agree downtime after whiping is a pain. It almost feels like a necessary evil. If downtime was significantly lowered I could see an instance of some guilds progressing faster while others progress SLOWER.

Now I know there are plenty of targets to snipe as is. But imagine guilds in similar tiers competing over targets. This biggest limitation to how much a guild can get done in one raid is TIME. By decreasing the amount of time it takes to down a certain target. You allow that raid to down more targets within an allotted time. The more targets 1 guild downs the less targets that are left for other guilds afterwards.

Just my 2cp. Flame on

Im going to assume youre assumption is correct. Lets develop it somewhat. Guild A does an encounter. In beginning they will wipe some, making it take time.. but after killing that encounter 3 times, it goes faster, and they wipe less. After 10 times, they all know exactly what to do, they dont really wipe on this encounter anymore, They can kill it quickly and move on. Reseffects taking time will no longer slow them down.
Guild B is trying an encounter for the first time. They wipe a lot.. every wipe costs them 20 minutes. In the end they finally end up killing the boss, but there is no time for killing more stuff, raid is over and they leave more targets up for guild A.

As I see it, assuming your assumption is correct, decreasing the time it takes to get back in action after a wipe will help the up and coming guilds. Not the guilds farming a mob over and over and over. They wont be affected much.

Im going to assume youre assumption is correct. Lets develop it somewhat. Guild A does an encounter. In beginning they will wipe some, making it take time.. but after killing that encounter 3 times, it goes faster, and they wipe less. After 10 times, they all know exactly what to do, they dont really wipe on this encounter anymore, They can kill it quickly and move on. Reseffects taking time will no longer slow them down.
Guild B is trying an encounter for the first time. They wipe a lot.. every wipe costs them 20 minutes. In the end they finally end up killing the boss, but there is no time for killing more stuff, raid is over and they leave more targets up for guild A.

As I see it, assuming your assumption is correct, decreasing the time it takes to get back in action after a wipe will help the up and coming guilds. Not the guilds farming a mob over and over and over. They wont be affected much.

"Guilds in similar tiers." Higher tier guilds will always have the advantage over lower tiered guilds. They have more experience organizing raids, they're more familiar with the encounters, and they have better gear. This entire thread is more focused on progression, not backfarming encounters you already know. His posts highlights guilds advancing through the same tier. Not that it matters a whole lot, but don't take posts out of context.

Your post basically implies that it would be beneficial to the game if guilds were allowed to progress faster. That's dumb, for obvious reasons. It also contradicts the opinions of several staff members, insofar as I remember.

Last edited:
There are still gear checks scattered throughout the tiers that are not really made easier by throwing yourself at them over and over again; you need to have X of Y resist on everyone in the raid, or a main tank with a certain level of hp/ac, or healers with mana pools of a certain size, etc.

Example: If a guild is trying to progress in Thaz, getting 10 attempts at the lower fire boss in a night compared to 5-6 won't make any difference at all until they have everyone with high enough fire resist.

And if you honestly think a full raid recovery takes 10 minutes or less, you've obviously been away from the raid scene too long.

There are still gear checks scattered throughout the tiers that are not really made easier by throwing yourself at them over and over again; you need to have X of Y resist on everyone in the raid, or a main tank with a certain level of hp/ac, or healers with mana pools of a certain size, etc.

Example: If a guild is trying to progress in Thaz, getting 10 attempts at the lower fire boss in a night compared to 5-6 won't make any difference at all until they have everyone with high enough fire resist.

And if you honestly think a full raid recovery takes 10 minutes or less, you've obviously been away from the raid scene too long.

The point of recovery is a time sink; it's a repercussion for failing. It doesn't matter why you fail, there's more pressure on you to succeed if a hefty penalty is applied to failing. If it wasn't obvious, high fire resist is part of the strategy for Lower Fire, and learning the strategy is part of progression. Decreasing wipe recovery time ultimately lends itself to faster progression. From a developer's position, faster progression is bad.

And I've spent many, many thankless hours wiping. My old guildmates can attest to how stubborn I was, even on encounters we weren't geared for. However, we did learn to recover from a wipe quickmode. It was somewhere in the realm of 10-12 minutes.

Last edited:
The point of recovery is a time sink; it's a repercussion for failing. It doesn't matter why you fail, there's more pressure on you to succeed if a hefty penalty is applied to failing. If it wasn't obvious, high fire resist is part of the strategy for Lower Fire, and learning the strategy is part of progression. Decreasing wipe recovery time ultimately lends itself to faster progression. From a developer's position, faster progression is bad.

And I've spent many, many thankless hours wiping. My old guildmates can attest to how stubborn I was, even on encounters we weren't geared for. However, we did learn to recover from a wipe quickmode. It was somewhere in the realm of 10-12 minutes.

You didn't contradict or refute anything I said about fights that are gear checks, you just claimed it was part of the strat for the fight and that more attempts will somehow let guilds kill these targets. :psyduck:

10-12 minutes is an absolute ideal recovery time. Camping a cleric, having 0 AFKs, every single person meds as soon as they get back in and lose DF, no major buffs have to be refreshed, etc. You can't always camp a cleric or FD a monk/necro, and on those instances the recovery time is closer to 20 minutes (See all of Mang's data earlier in the thread).

Bringing the average recovery time down from ~18 minutes to ~12 minutes would be great. There are still plenty of fights that would block guilds from progressing solely as a result of getting more attempts in a raid, but this would also encourage doing other targets that are more strat based than gear based, which I generally consider to be more fun and a bigger accomplishment once you master them.

Because I'm bored at work...

So lets explore a bit more about what you posted so nicely in the first post, because I think were on to something there...

Travel Time + Rezzing + Death Fatigue + Med Time + Buff Time + Remed Time = Wipe Recovery Time

• Travel Time is not changing and varies GREATLY, depending on if you got a rezzer out in some manner
  • Rezzing is fairly constant once the rezer is in place
  • Death Fatigue is always 4 minutes
  • Med time increases as mana pool increases
  • Buff Time is fairly constant after a given tier
  • Remed is constant in relation to Buff Time
Travel Time is the skill part of the equation. If you get your necro or rez urn equipped FD'er down, camp your cleric, or whatever else you have in place, then you are rewarded with a near 0 travel time. I think this is right and proper. If you wipe RIGHT (don't train the healers camping out, pop your delaying stances, etc) then you should be rewarded. I'll also go out on a limb and say this has the potential to be the longest part of any wipe. I don't think there is a problem with that. If you fail at wiping right, you are penalized for it. If you are good at it, your downtime is drastically lowered. In a raid situation there aren't that many situations where FDing isn't at least an option.

Rezzing itself is fairly constant, and cascading if you have some organization too it. With the proper clicky, it can be done during the Death Fatigue faze, assuming your travel time phase wasn't too long. Best possible time for a single cleric clicking is a bit over 2 minutes. That doesn't happen of course but a focused heal team can do it in 3 minutes on average.

Death Fatigue is our constant. 4 minutes. It is not changing. You are penalized 4 minutes for dying no matter what. Odds of this becoming < 4 minutes are pretty much 0.

Med Time is where it gets interesting, and why I dismiss what most people are complaining about. Med Time paradoxically gets worse the better your casters get, punishing moving up in the tiers. So while it varies, doing the right thing (getting better gear) makes you worse at it, unlike travel time or Rez Time. The group is more or less forced to wait until the person with the most mana is done.

Buff Time and Remed time are linked obviously, But should be fairly constant in relation to each other, and don't really add that much more time to the equation.

So of all those things, the only thing that can change is the Med Time, and really its not the biggest potential sink, just the only one that grows as you get better. Am I stating anything wrong thus far?

Now personally I don't believe any change to med time is going to change things by more than a couple minutes tops. Once again its the travel time that really affects a wipe most. And increased travel time in most cases in the game, are a consequence of wiping wrong (IE you made 2 mistakes wiping and wiping badly), and should be punished accordingly. But if you DO wipe properly and get your travel time to an effective 0, its certainly what stands out most, your melees waiting for buffs, but your casters having to gather mana after the DF fades so they can cast, so they can med again. And that variable being uneven and unfairly handled is the actual problem. You shouldn't be punished for being better.

Make totally out of combat meditation purely % based and the problem of casters getting punished for getting better is solved~

He's not bullshitting on that estimate; we just didn't afk during wipes for the most part which made shit go super fast. As a former cleric I can attest to how much time is wasted by people afking far too long after a wipe; but that is niehter here nor there.

On the point about gear/resist checks - the concept with lower down time is that in the end you would be able to have the proper gear at that fight much quicker with decreased downtime.

Bosses still have a respawn time of ~5 days, that wouldn't be changing. Changing the wipe recovery time has no effect on bosses that are on farm status. Some additional, under-contested bosses would probably start to be killed more frequently, but getting an extra couple of bosses over the course of a week wouldn't greatly impact overall progression time.

I agree with cyzaine that the medding part of wiping is the only one that gets worse as you get better, and another thing about it is that it is completely innactive. At least when you are running back/rezzing/buffing you are playing the game and can play well or poorly, having to sit there and wait for the person with the most manas bar to fill is just that, waiting. Is there anyway that deathfatigue could give a big mana regen once it fades? Maybe have 2 death effects, one that prevents attack AND gives minus massive mana regen, and one that gives plus massive regen and lasts a five minutes after the first fades? Right now death fatigue is like a double wait time for casters compared to melee anyway.

Now personally I don't believe any change to med time is going to change things by more than a couple minutes tops. Once again its the travel time that really affects a wipe most. And increased travel time in most cases in the game, are a consequence of wiping wrong (IE you made 2 mistakes wiping and wiping badly), and should be punished accordingly. But if you DO wipe properly and get your travel time to an effective 0, its certainly what stands out most, your melees waiting for buffs, but your casters having to gather mana after the DF fades so they can cast, so they can med again. And that variable being uneven and unfairly handled is the actual problem. You shouldn't be punished for being better.

I can't really concern myself with the specifics of what changes; I would like it if the 14 minute and 20+ minute downtimes both went down.

I just feel like if you walked up to somebody on the street and said: "I play a video game that makes me wait 20 minutes every time I fail," you would be pitied.

I just feel like if you walked up to somebody on the street and said: "I play a video game that makes me wait 20 minutes every time I fail," you would be pitied.

Ah the glory days of the 40 man raids of WoW. That was mostly due to stupidity and afks though.

In all seriousness I don't care about your perception. If you really couldn't stand it and it ALWAYS took 20 minutes, I'm sure you wouldn't play. I'm not at the burning edge content, but when I did raid with rev, when we wiped on encounters we didn't know in the mid+ end of the spectrum, 20+ minutes was the exception, not the rule.

I'm not saying there isn't some issue at hand, but I don't think any of your plans will make as large an impact on the raiding seen as you seem to think. And I think you know that too.

Last edited:
Think of my suggestions like the health care bill: nowhere near what anyone needs or wants, but a step in the right direction.

I'm not at the burning edge content, but when I did raid with rev, when we wiped on encounters we didn't know in the mid+ end of the spectrum, 20+ minutes was the exception, not the rule.

I would tend to agree. However, as mana goes up that number increases, If you have to wait for stamina bars do to stancing, that number increases. Sure its not by a large number, but a couple minutes here, couple minutes there kind of deal and you get to your 14-20 min

Then you factor where zones are or how deep or can you clicky back/bind outside/have to wait for DF to fade then mana to port..., you add a couple minutes to the rez. Not this will change either, but yeah all this stuff adds up.

Back
Top Bottom