Beastlord Warder Change

Changes like these that are aesthetically pleasing boost the enjoyment of the game so much. Proof that not everything has to be discussed in terms of balancing and game-breaking incremental increases to stats or dps or tomes or procs. Everything is simply much more bad-ass and fun when you don't still hate the way your character or pet looks after years and years.

Feel good change of the year!

Feel good change of the year!

From what I heard from the GMs in OOC the other night - for right now the size of the new pets are going to stay the same throughout and if they do decide to have them change in size it will be by a smaller amount than how it was before. But for now its just same size pets...hopefully they decide in favor of size increase - want a giant leeeccch!

Last edited:
From what I heard from the GMs in OOC the other night - for right now the size of the new pets are going to stay the same throughout and if they do decide to have them change in size it will be by a smaller amount than how it was before. But for now its just same size pets...hopefully they decide in favor of size increase - want a giant leeeccch!

I chose bunny so I don't have to shrink. I'd suggest another style change to more "untameable" beasts to add more uniqueness in achieving the next level of pet. This would distinguish the effort put into achieving the runic 2. The same could apply to mages as well who have runic 2.

I wish Barbarians had gotten one choice that was a little more "out there" totally jealous of the troll and iksar choices.

Maybe I am not understanding your definition of out there but the snow bunny is the weirdest most out there choice there ia.

Maybe I am not understanding your definition of out there but the snow bunny is the weirdest most out there choice there ia.
Tim the Enchanter definitely knows better than to underestimate the snowy white Rabbit of Caerbannog.

Not sure if it is viable or even something actual beastlords would want, but what about coding the runic spell such that the swarm pets' species are individually randomized upon each cast within the bounds of the player's race? Functionally, this would be similar to the way that the magician swarm elementals are randomized. For instance, an ogre with his usual elephant pet casts the runic spell and conjures up three gorillas, two skunks, and an elephant; the next cast, he might pull up some other configuration -- maybe even an elusive "all-skunk" squad!

A superficial change to an already superficial change, yes, but it would not be without its benefits:

1) It would aid in differentiating between the beastlord's regular pet and the swarm to some extent.

2) It might serve to alleviate any niggling second thoughts or regrets a player may have over their initial warder choice.

3) Lastly, it would give the rising beastlord some variety to look forward to while striving for their runic instead of "more of the same".​

Not sure if it is viable or even something actual beastlords would want, but what about coding the runic spell such that the swarm pets' species are individually randomized upon each cast within the bounds of the player's race? Functionally, this would be similar to the way that the magician swarm elementals are randomized. For instance, an ogre with his usual elephant pet casts the runic spell and conjures up three gorillas, two skunks, and an elephant; the next cast, he might pull up some other configuration -- maybe even an elusive "all-skunk" squad!

A superficial change to an already superficial change, yes, but it would not be without its benefits:
1) It would aid in differentiating between the beastlord's regular pet and the swarm to some extent.

2) It might serve to alleviate any niggling second thoughts or regrets a player may have over their initial warder choice.

3) Lastly, it would give the rising beastlord some variety to look forward to while striving for their runic instead of "more of the same".​

I love it

I am up for this, but I would want some more beastlords to weigh in. I know a few who picked their pet type because "a horde of elephants look awesome!" or a "swarm of bunnies is going to be kick ass".

So - what do you other beastlords think? Its a cool idea. And it would actually fall into the small bucket of code things I could pull off on my lonesome.

Not to be a wet blanket, but all the cosmetic changes are meaningless compared to actual gameplay changes promised in numerous other threads. It's slightly more convenient for me not to shrink my previously obnoxiously large pet every time I zone, but in general cosmetic warder model changes are not something I'm going to look at as significantly helping the class.

Devs shouldn't waste time with [the proposal in this thread]! They should instead focus on [my personal agenda]!
This type of post is not helpful. As a volunteer member of staff it is demoralizing. As a player it is not likely to have a positive impact on your request. At best it derails the thread and at worst it causes a breakdown in communication totally. Keep in mind that whatever is currently being proposed is what the staff member is willing and able to do at this moment. Sometimes a change is proposed and later turns out to be unworkable for a time. To act as though an offer to make a change is a binding agreement to slave away until it is complete is not a reasonable reaction. If this job was easy then everyone would do it!

The topic on the table is this: Would beastlords enjoy their swarm pet being randomly assigned to any of the possibilites for your race? Or would they instead prefer a swarm that matches your chosen warder? Even though this is just a cosmetic change, it does affect people, so weigh in if it matters to you.

I am up for this, but I would want some more beastlords to weigh in. I know a few who picked their pet type because "a horde of elephants look awesome!" or a "swarm of bunnies is going to be kick ass".

So - what do you other beastlords think? Its a cool idea. And it would actually fall into the small bucket of code things I could pull off on my lonesome.

This would be great, I personally like the idea of summoning a swarm of elephants to destroy my foes. Summoning random swarm animals that our race was able to pick from was a great idea to echo what Grinkles said. While I do love my stompy elephant, it would be cool to see the other two animals in action.

I would certainly feel like a lord of beasts if I could summon apes skunks and elephants at once.

not opposed to the idea i suppose, i do however love me raptor swarm....

i do however miss my codair pet from time to time... and elthusars i just cool...

While a hoard of snow bunnies assaulting an enemy sounds pretty cool, it would certainly make me feel more a "Lord of the Beasts" if that swarm was a bunch of random beasts called to aid me. Then those rare instances when RNG gets you a horde of bunnies (or elephants, or whatever) would make it that much more awesome.

(Yes, I am inactive at the moment, but I thought I'd weigh in on the idea.)

I like the new warders, my only complaint would be the fact that they do not change anything in appearance. While the Bunny is fearsome indeed and make my foes cringe in terror at the mere sight of this MURDEROUS creaature, it would be grand if some minor cosmetic change would occur as the rank of the warder goes up. I dunno, something cool and awesome I guess :)

most runic 2 pets change color... the only ones that dont/cant were the tigers for the vah.

I like the new warders, my only complaint would be the fact that they do not change anything in appearance. While the Bunny is fearsome indeed and make my foes cringe in terror at the mere sight of this MURDEROUS creaature, it would be grand if some minor cosmetic change would occur as the rank of the warder goes up. I dunno, something cool and awesome I guess :)

Maybe you can summon a holy grenade to give to the pet? It may turn him a charred grey/black color! ;)

Maybe you can summon a holy grenade to give to the pet? It may turn him a charred grey/black color! ;)

Just thought I'd share some observations about MOB models in case you're interested.

Mobile OBjects (MOBs) in EQ utilize a system of bases and swappable textures. An alligator, for instance, utilizes its model's default texture -- a gray, scaly gator; swap to the next texture in the list and you get the little orange basilisk. This allows the client to save memory by having multiple textures share the same 3d model wireframe and animation set. (Think of it like old-school Mortal Kombat and its notorious "palette swapping" -- Sub-Zero, Reptile, and Scorpion were created by merely swapping the colors of their ninja uniforms.)

As far as playable races go:
Default texture = no armor (a.k.a. "cloth armor")
Second texture = leather armor
Third texture = chainmail
Fourth texture = platemail

(There are more beyond these, such as robe patterns and Velious racial armor for the pre-Luclin models.)​

This is how shapeshifting Enchanters can get so much mileage out of only a few targets. Shapeshifting into a BAR BST's wolf pet will utilize the default texture, i.e. a gray wolf. Casting Illusionary Leather on himself beforehand, the Enchanter can then shapeshift using the same target and take the form of the wolf model's second texture, i.e. a black wolf. Chainmail (playable races' third texture) will yield a white wolf (the wolf model's third texture), and so on.

Some MOBs have only one texture, whereas others have half a dozen or more (think willowisps, spiders, dragons, etc.). Off the top of my head, here is a list of the current BST pet setup for BAR and OGR and the corresponding texture swaps to give you some idea:

Barbarian
Polar Bear -- Default Texture: Brown Bear, 2nd Texture: Black Bear, 3rd Texture: Polar Bear
Snow Wolf -- Default: Gray Wolf, 2nd: Black Wolf, 3rd: White Wolf, 4th: Jackal/Coyote
White Rabbit -- Default: White Rabbit

Ogre
Elephant -- Default Texture: Elephant, 2nd Texture: Woolly Mammoth
Gorilla -- Default Texture: Gorilla, 2nd Texture: Undead Gorilla
Skunk -- Default Texture: Skunk​

As you can see, some of the BST pet models get a decent variety of textures, whereas others have only one. Unless Slaar & Co. were to do some more SoD-exclusive texture work like with the vine-covered hooded guys and green owlbears in OG, having an alternate appearance for the final BST pet just isn't viable across the board for all BST pet choices.

Last edited:
Iksar

Codiar -- Default Texture: green, 2nd Texture: red
Elthusaur -- Default: green, 2nd: black
Hopper -- Default: grey, 2nd: brownish-tan

Vah
Tiger -- Default Texture: uh tiger... orange stripped
Panther -- Default: uh panther... black
Sabertooth -- Default: Tan, 2nd: White

Troll
Gator -- Default Texture: grey, 2nd: Cractee yellow and black
Balaslisk -- Default: yellow and black (needs testing)
Leech -- Default: white and black (needs testing)

also since the patch recent my hopper swarm pets are humans in every zone. Not sure why and havent tested in zones that had the hopper model b4 and my pet works fine in all these zones =p

also if we cant do custom tecture i would love to throw my hat in that ring =p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom