Bard Runic1

Long time ago that song had shorter recast time or it was pulsed dont remember witch it was but it was abused by a bard (nifera) and it got nerfed. Make it a longer duration +2 tics and less resistable and its a more fun song without being a total op shit for bards. I still use it as a "oh look a citadel patroller ITS MY PET NOW" thing.

runic 1 was never pulsed. it might have had a shorter recast but that wasnt why it was nerfed
It used to be able to charm lvl 64 mobs , ie the 3 pull in emberflow before Melok taus.
and because of this we stopped taking temellian on his necro to the fight.
and he complained and it was nerfed to where it is now.

So bards have to play/quest for months/years to get a song that isnt as good as a level 64 enchanter spell? Does this seem backwards to anyone but me? Just make it a "pulsing" detrimental song and cost mana over time instead of a once and done. I really dont think this is too far fetched, and its not going to break the game. Song is broken - please fix it

Vartax

Let's try to be optimistic. There clearly ain't enough chanters on the server. I cannot think of a more proactive thing than keep this song as it is, to help.

R1 is good all the people complaining are bad like... R1 is situational just like wiz r1 just like druids r2 just like conduit just like a million other things in this game... If u use the r1 right its amazing -crownk

lol what are we talking about. bard R1 is not situationally good. a 42 sec charm with a 3 minute cooldown.. even the level 39 charm has a 2 minute duration with only a 20 second cooldown on mobs upto level 54. AND it comes with a resist adjust. Its like someone said Here - lets take this level 39 song.. up the max level, but make everything else 100% worse and call it a rare mystical runic spell. its straight up shit lol. Say stuff like cataclysm or conduit is situational.. cmon now - all spells are "situational." the only reason a bard puts R1 in spellslot is to get into Abyss.. there is literally no other reason to charm something for 42 seconds. Any bard remember when charm kiting was a thing?

Vartax

Last edited:
like - what else could you possibly want to have this in your spellset for? ever? Im just requesting making it a mana over time song instead of the shit-duration/cooldown that it has. Make the song more practical.
Im trying not to just bitch about it. I mained a bard on live for MANY years. and Charm was actually practical there - as a mana over time thing. I think it would translate well in this situation

1) does anyone think this would break the game? or make the song too OP?
2) anyone got a better idea?
3) is the song practical and im just missing it?

Vartax

Last edited:
like - what else could you possibly want to have this in your spellset for? ever? Im just requesting making it a mana over time song instead of the shit-duration/cooldown that it has. Make the song more practical.
Im trying not to just bitch about it. I mained a bard on live for MANY years. and Charm was actually practical there - as a mana over time thing. I think it would translate well in this situation

1) does anyone think this would break the game? or make the song too OP?
2) anyone got a better idea?
3) is the song practical and im just missing it?

Vartax
So you are suggesting a charm that works on level 63 mobs that you can channel for longer than 7 tics? That seems very strong to me. The only other idea I have heard from other bards is a jolt that isnt a detrimental song but functions like a bellow. What can you add to bards that they dont already have and doesnt make them stronger than they actually are?

i was just making a suggestion. id be glad to hear others suggestions.. a jolt sounds good too.. would definately be more useful imo. im just making a suggestion on the spell thats already in game

Vartax

bump

High mana cost - check
Resistable - check
Short duration - check
Long recast - check
Level 63 max instead of 64, so that dark blue is PROBABLY ok - check

As Nwaij so graciously pointed out bard r1 is similar in concept to an enchanter spell. Someone is going to say something like "you can't compare spells rabble rabble" but that isn't how the human brain functions so you leave us alone you non-human. These two spells are similar and provide a reference for what a good spell and a bad song look like. The big difference is that the enchanter spell you vendor dive in Athica while the Bard song requires questing and drop farming and, not to put too fine a point on it, is worse in almost every way.

Lets break it down for anyone too lazy to click the links. Control v. Anthem and winner
Mana cost: 875 v 1200 = Control, exacerbated by differing mana pools
Cast time: 4.5 v 3 = Anthem, though CSI makes it a tad closer
Recast: 300 v 110 = Anthem, how often are you using this emergency spell?
Duration: 12tics v 7 tics = Control, in a big way
Range: 200 v 100 = Control, which affects utility quite a bit
Resist: -1000 v 0 = Control, this is huge
Max lvl: 65 v. 63 = Control, this is huge and despite some people believing you could/should Jayla's Insight everything to know your 63s from your 64s being able to instantly tell if something is mezzable/charmable from con color is convenient beyond convenience

That seems terribly lopsided and is probably why many people think the bard r1 isn't very great. Here is my suggestion for how to get bard r1 from "situationally maybe useful but probably not even worth bothering with unless we're getting into abyss" all the way up to "situationally useful".

Mana cost: 1200 = no change. this is a reasonable downside and limitation
Cast time: 3 = no change. bard songs have a cast time of 3 seconds.
Recast: 110 = no change. this would remain the one significant benefit an endgame spell has over a lvl 64 spell
Duration: 7 tics = no change. this is a pretty serious limitation and more than justifies improving the spell
Range: 100 = no change. this is a pretty serious limitation and more than justifies improving the spell
Resist: -1000 = that this song can be resisted completely conflicts with the other design elements (cost/duration) - otherwise increasing duration and lowering recast to be in line with earlier bard charms
Max lvl: 64 = according to Nifera this was changed from 64 to 63 for a pretty stupid reason. this is a big QOL change for the simple fact "works on blue cons" is conceptually so much easier for all parties involved.

Two changes. The song would still be overall inferior to the lower level enchanter spell.

Last edited:
He actually has a really good point about the resist adjust on this. The stupid reason is not so stupid when you actually do MT & a good bard can make or break the 6 man. Make those mobs immune to mez to keep the cheaters from using that spell, and bump the level back up.

sure if your on tier with MT the bard is a huge help cause he can charm every 3rd add so the dps doesnt need to kill the add and focus on mt. Sure hes song can sure the dot that is annoying cause you dont want ppl to be to low on hps for that random 6k growl. But nowdays when everyone has tier 10+ loots or acsess to powerful toons you can just take good tank x , healer and 4 dps back in tier 9 you kinda had to roll with 2 healers.

Lol I'm sorry but it really cracks me up people are discussing a spells balance for a mob that in today's game is 3 mannable. Melek taus has been incredibly easy since the resist changes

Lol I'm sorry but it really cracks me up people are discussing a spells balance for a mob that in today's game is 3 mannable. Melek taus has been incredibly easy since the resist changes
of course any fight is easy when you don't do it the way its intended ^.^

? It's easy because you just mitigate the blast with cold resistance, whether you stack it intentionally or not

Back
Top Bottom