Reinstate /cm refresh and /cm raiddestroy

Grinkles

Developer
Staff member
/cm refresh and /cm raiddestroy used to be among the most important commands at a player's disposal. However, both of them inexplicably went the way of the dinosaur 9 months ago with the switch over to the newer client. I believe they could be highly instrumental in combating a number of bugs that 2.5 throws at the player if only we had access to them. For the sake of our own sanity, may we please have both of these commands back?

Why /cm refresh?
A great many situations arise in 2.5 that require one or more players either to relog or to zone out and back in. For example, a notorious bug exists that causes a player not to show up in the zone on anyone else's end, leaving him unable to be targeted for healing, assisting, and so on even though he can see everybody else. The bugged player has two options: relog or rezone. Logging out in 2.5 boots the logged player from the group and, in many cases, puts the remaining group members at risk of further group bugs, including broken group chat, missing ports, and missing GHeals. Zoning out and back in requires a zoneline to be nearby and also takes much longer than it ever did in 2.0. A simple /cm refresh would fix the bugged player without the need for relogging or zoning out and back in.

In addition to fighting against group/raid bugs, /cm refresh would also allow players to quickly access newly memorized spells that have long recasts (e.g. Divine Aura, Shout of Agony, Control, etc.) just as they used to via refreshing. This was a major loss with the new client that, surprisingly, I haven't heard many players discuss; perhaps it has been so long now that they've forgotten the convenience we once had.
Why /cm raiddestroy?
I hope I don't need to explain how many group/raid bugs this one command could alleviate. As long as groups remained intact, a quick /cm raiddestroy could conceivably spare a raid from any number of bugs, most notably when a player logs out mid-raid before doing /raiddisband, thereby leaving the group unable to kick him/her which then requires that all remaining raiders reform groups and the raid from scratch. /cm raiddestroy would greatly speed up raid reformation, which currently stands as the biggest obstacle that gets in the way of enjoying the raid game.
While we're on the topic, why were these removed in the first place? Was it intentional? Was it assumed that the conveniences of the new client would make these unnecessary and obsolete? Or was there some other reason?

Both of these would help handle the two major non-class related bugs that are hassling people right now. Would love to see these commands return.

While I'm not a staff member, I suspect these were intentionally not moved over from 2.0. Arguably both would be outmoded in the new client. IIRC, the original intent behind /cm refresh was to combat the packet loss bugs for being in a zone too long. Even in 2.0, that bug was long dead. I also suspect that the staff might not have been thrilled about that secondary benefit you discussed.

As for /cm raiddestroy, the buttons for it should work at some point, so it'd be fairly useless.

While I think the above is the most likely reasons IMO, I'd still like to see these commands put back in as well, at least temporarily.

I also suspect that the staff might not have been thrilled about that secondary benefit you discussed.
Thanks for the feedback, but I have to ask -- why in the world would refreshing to pop Shout of Agony or Divine Aura be frowned upon when the exact same effect is achieved by zoning or relogging whether intentional or not? o_O

Because it still gives you an advantage in zones like emberflow or windstone where part way through a clear you may want a spell like shout of agony up but there are repops and you couldn't zone with ease and you might not be safe enough to relog. Ultimately I don't think those spells were implemented/designed to be used immediately originally, which is why the staff might not be thrilled, but it looks like in the vast majority of cases it would be difficult to stop players from doing it one way or the other. I also recall (and don't quote me) a staff member saying they didn't like that aspect of /cm refresh, they didn't elaborate, but it's why I think it may be the case. I'm not against/opposed to any of this, this is just my best guess on the thought process.

I think in 2.0 when you did a refresh in emberflow it sent you to character select, iirc or maybe it just did it to me.
Was it jumbers that gave us /cm refresh?
I agree, the command would really be useful at this point again also Shortening the loading character screens is it feasible?, world data w/e but there seems to be an extra loading screen in between character and getting into the world vs 2.0

Back
Top Bottom