Adding Joystick to EQ

j0kie_smurf

Dalayan Beginner
Hi. I have been using my xbox360 controller to play EQ. If anyone would like to know how, I am posting it here, with a short tutorial on how to configure the software. If anyone would like to know where to download the software, please send me pm as I do not want to advertise any other websites here. I can also file transfer the application if you desire.

You will first need to have a joystick. I prefer the xbox360 controller, as it works on a pc just fine. It has windows direct input drivers and is designed for both xbox and the pc. Most other joysticks will work, like the ps3 joystick. Like the 360 controller, it is usb, so will work on a pc if you have the windows drivers for it. If you need drivers or updated drivers, check the manufacturers website for details or just google your joystick brand.

For adding your keyboard and mouse to your controller, you will need to get one of several applications that will allow you to do this. My personal preference is xpadder. It has a simple gui and is easily configurable. You can also use AutoHotKey. AutoHotKey uses macro scripting to assign your hotkeys to the controller, including mouse functions. This can be complicated for people with little or no programming experience. If your an expert, AutoHotKey might be for you. If you are a novice, xpadder works great.

I will be covering xpadder here, as I do not want to post any scripts here or share my personal work. I may be agreeable to sharing off the forum, assuming I find time to do so.
Xpadder is easy to use. Once you download it, all you have to do is run it.
When it opens you will see a simple interface.
myconfig1.jpg

This is my Shards of Dalaya configuration. To create your own configuration, click the controller icon, in the top left of the window. Choose new in the drop down box. You will see this window, with a pink background.
newconfig1.jpg

You will notice the tabs at the bottom. The first one, image, is for you to load a controller diagram. This is not needed, as xpadder will show you your configuration without loading any graphics. This is only for the purposes of customizing the background. You will need an image of whatever brand controller you use. I do not have official graphics, and I don't use them. It doesn't have to look fancy for me. If you want to download a controller graphic to use with ther configuration you can. But it is not needed, so don't worry.
The next tab is labeled Sticks. You do need to enable sticks , so that you can use your analogs. There is an enabled check box, click it to check it, so you can let xpadder know you want to add your analogs. Once enabled you will see a circle and a box that says push stick left.
sticksconfig1.jpg

Push the stick left, then up. Its added. Then if you want to use both analogs, as I do, then click the stick 2 tab. Same thing, push left, then up.
sticksconfig21.jpg

You will also see direction names. You don't have to change these as they are by default, left, right, up and down. If you want to change these to something else, you can. And the left, right, up and down still works as normal. This is just to rename the directions, if you want your configuration to look fancy. I skip the direction names tab.
directionnames1.jpg

Now that you have analogs added to the configuration, you may also add the D-pad, if you want to use it. I use the D-pad also.
Remember to click the enable check box to add a D-pad. Just like with adding analogs (sticks), you have to enable them to let xpadder know you want to use it.
dpad1.jpg

To set the d-pad, simply press the arrows on the left and push the cooresponding d-pad direction when prompted.
dpad1.jpg

When you press all 4 arrows and corresponding d-pad directions, it will look like this (above).
Now its time to add the buttons you wish to use. Click the buttons tab to add buttons. Press each button you want to use, and it will add it to the screen as a square. You can click the sticks as buttons also (L3 and R3).
buttons1.jpg

Adding triggers is the same as buttons. Click the triggers tab and then click enable. It will prompt you to hold each trigger. 2 squares will be added to the top.
triggers1.jpg

Now go to finish and click close.
After it closes it will return to main window. Click each button and assign the key you want from the pop up on-screen keyboard. If you want to assign a mouse function, simply click the mouse feature detailed on the right side of the on-screen keyboard pop up. clicking a wrench allows tweaking mouse speed and other things. You can click the wrench on the d-pad and choose d-pad. You can click on an analog and choose mouse, to have it act exactly as a mouse. Mouse buttons may also be added to a button also.

Last edited:
Do you use the controller to change views and such? How does that work out?

I think I might have to give this a try with a ps3 type controller.

I can use the controller to change views, to move and look, to use all 10 hotkeys. It can also flip thru your hotkeys booklet to each 10 key set you have set up in the game. You can also make several different joystick configurations that you can activate while playing, like 1 set up for warrior and 1 for a caster. So if you are 2 boxing, as you flip between boxes, it also flips between joystick configs for each character.

If you use your mouse wheel to zoom in and out, you can have the joystick do that too. Just set ur d-pad left and right as left and right mouse buttons, and the d-pad up and down as mouse wheel scroll up and down. Now you can zoom in and out just like using the mouse wheel.

The ps3 controller and xbox360 controller are very similar and for shards of dalaya will work exactly identical. If you have up to 32 button joystick, that will work also. Personally, I find that my 360 stick is perfect for SoD.

Wow, that looks like it could be really awesome Jokie. Could you message me where to download that from, or I'll give you an e-mail to send to, if you wrote it or such. Please and thank you :)
(I'll go buy the controller to do it with.)

Darksabbat --> xpadder, you can just google search it and its on softipedia (sp).

So I got it setup for Titan Quest, got that worked out easy enough.

As for as getting it setup for Shards its alot more tricky I found.

After tinkering with it on the druid while farming Ice Giants I got these functions..

left stick = mouse movement
top triggers = mouse clicks
right stick = arrow keys
stick depresses = duck / sit
(starting to get used to movement, using alt for strafe and mouse buttons for looking)

d-pad = left/right to change between hotmenu 1 and 2; down for spellbook

bottom right trigger = alt
buttons 1-4 + start = 1-5 (use with alt to cast spells, or plain for hotkeys)

bottom left trigger = ` (target nearest)

Select and up d-pad have slipped my mind while im here at work.

Anywho, My setup so far is missing some things I need to work out. I'm trying to do it without changing the key layout in shards but something tells me I will have to.

Mainly what I'm looking for is using 1-8 so I can use my spells and hot keys. Only using 2 hotmenus is plenty for me.

J0kie... I am interested in looking over your config if you don't mind. I'll send you a P.M.

Thanks smkymon. Downloaded, and installed.

Pretty easy to set it up, using my old sidewinder gamepad. Adds an awesome new dimension to gameplay (and ease of it). Going to look into getting a newer gamepad with the analog sticks and more buttons.

I'm glad I could help some of you out. I noticed that using a joystick is better for me. I only have to type in the chat box. I have sent some of you that were interested my layout I use. Mine is set up for paladin. But I can help you set up for caster classes and such also. Thank you for your interest.

hey jokie i also have 360 gamepad but i ca't seem to get it the controls to work on eq is there sum way to download it to my sever or sumthing?

I have a Logitach gamepad I have been trying to set up with xpadder, but for some reason SoD doesn't seem to recognise that I am giving commands with my controller. I start xpadder, select the profile I set up for SoD (I don't actually use xpadder for any other games) and start the client. When in game, when I try to use the controller nothing happens. Am I missing something? Obviously someone got xpadder to work with SoD in the past, what am I doing wrong?

Good god - HOW can you stand playing EQ with an X-Box controller is beyond me. Why would you - is beyond me either. But to each his own I guess :)

Also trying to set up xpadder with a logitech 3dpro, and reading this I will assume I will run into same prob, EQ won't recognize controller until a config is changed somewhere. It always ends up you figuring it out yourself doesn't it? Even if someone posted a complete walkthru, your computer would find a gremlin along the way.

Oh and BTW, taught a 3 year old to run the axe wielder on a vampire game playing 4 player with his brother and me and one other person. Xbox, keep it simple, and cover the bases at the same time. Best game controller since no one kept with the 3-inline-horizontal buttons from genesis-saturn IMO.

Last edited:
Hope no one finds this to be necro'ing a thread, seeing as it's a unique utility thread.

Wanted to clarify to those who are confused.

xpadder translates your gamepad buttons into keyboard/mouse functions. Whatever game you're running has no concept of the controller, so if it isn't working when you run the game, verify in xpadder that it is recognizing your controller.

Look at the button layouts, press a few buttons. You should see the onscreen buttons highlight when you press the corresponding gamepad button. If this isn't happening, double check that your OS is recognizing the gamepad, then look at your xpadder settings to make sure that it's looking at the right controller.

I've been using this program for Vanguard--surprising how much it feels like a console game with that config--and it works great.

Good god - HOW can you stand playing EQ with an X-Box controller is beyond me. Why would you - is beyond me either. But to each his own I guess :)

Agreed, WTF. :D - the beauty of using a keyboard and mouse is what keeps me away from consoles. TFGH or WASD with a keyboard means you can respond within 0.5 seconds, and have a ton of hotkeys available. Playing with a 2 handed XBox controller would get you kicked out of most groups, as you would be slow and clumsy. Dont do that ;)

If you are a kiting class, the controller is actually far easier than using a keyboard. But I have also used the controller in normal xp groups, and nobody was the wiser. Most of the time I am 2-boxing though, and the controller fails in that regard, just too much trouble to switch between boxes.

xpadder translates your gamepad buttons into keyboard/mouse functions. Whatever game you're running has no concept of the controller, so if it isn't working when you run the game, verify in xpadder that it is recognizing your controller.

Back when I made the above post, I had already done as you suggested. It actually worked fine for moving my cursor around on my desktop, buttons worked, etc, it was only SoD that did not recognize that I was giving commands. I never did get it to work and gave up.

I assume this was directed more toward people that actually got a controller to work in SoD, but nonetheless, since you posted after my post I'll answer ;)

Though I have never managed to make it work, the reason I tried was to give myself different positions for my hands while gaming. The work that I do is very hard on the hands, wrists and arms, and leaves me with some numbness in my hands and fingers at certain times of the year, as well as the occasional shooting pains. This isn't constant, but on those days when it happens, though I may have the will to play SoD it is often difficult to do so, and I have found that by changing hand positioning I am able to alleviate the difficulty (sometimes I hook my hand around the edge of the keyboard and operate hotkeys with my left thumb, as if my keyboard is a giant controller, etc).

Anyway, I was hoping to just operate only a portion of my keyboard, including movement and hotkeys, and still use the mouse with my left hand. I have seen gaming setups which offer a sort of left hand control device (Nostromo for example), and I was thinking of trying to use my gamepad for something like that. It was to be a temporary "swap in" so I'd have options for changing positions without having to stop playing.

i am having this same problem... i will type with it here (1243'5) it moves my cursor over and everything... have u found a solution to this? the only place its not recognized is in sod for some reason...

Back
Top Bottom