Changes to Mage heal?

Krem

Dalayan Beginner
It seems that in the last couple days a change has been made to at least the 44 and 52 mage pet heals, increasing the recast timer from 7.5 secs to about 20 seconds. I've talked to a few other mages and found this to be the same with them. I was hoping a GM or somebody who knows something about this could let me know if this is intentional or if there's a new bug out there. Thanks!

-Kremm

I loaded the level 64 heal and the one lower to heal my water pet while trying to solo in High Keep the first 10 minutes the server came back up and I'm pretty sure Herbert could tank both at once if I could heal him! This way he can only kill one and because mage root isn't very superior, it is pretty hard to kill both at once :sadf:
But both spell gems just remained "unrecovered" :brow: Huh I thought it was just lag.

However, this is not cool. The pet heal wasn't overpowered.
The second best pet class (or first best, I'm not actually sure that mages have best pets) has a whole variety of heals, not only pet heals.

I can't imagine the pain of high level mages without 64 pet heal.

Krem said:
It seems that in the last couple days a change has been made to at least the 44 and 52 mage pet heals, increasing the recast timer from 7.5 secs to about 20 seconds. I've talked to a few other mages and found this to be the same with them. I was hoping a GM or somebody who knows something about this could let me know if this is intentional or if there's a new bug out there. Thanks!

-Kremm

I havn't heard anything about this. :sadf:
If this is the case I'm gonna be really :eek: and :( in real life...

Pretty much the idea is that I'm tired of every spell except pet heal being pointless for a magician unless they are grouped, and frankly I don't think mage soloing power is in any lethal danger. Try adding some nukes to the mix instead of just chain healing?

Also before we continue on the "MAGES CANT SOLO NOW" line, I just soloed a level 50 mob (undead keep guard) as a level 60 naked magician with no AAs using Greater Vocarate: Earth, Transon's Heal and Shock of Fiery Blades (all storebought). Almost died once and was OOM the other, but I did it.

A level 50 mob is blue to a 65. I did it as a NAKED level 60 magician.

I don't think mage soloing power is in dire straits.

Also, I will be speeding up the transon's line of heals to a cast time of 3 secs.

Does this mean that the Beastlord and Necromancer spells are in danger as well?

From the way I look at it, Magicians that use ONLY their heal line of spells would be limiting themselves in their DPS and soloing capabilities. A Magician who uses his buffs and his nukes in combination with his pet would be able to kill faster and gain more solo experience than a Mage simply using his pet and his pet heals.

The same line of thinking could be used for a Necromancer or Beastlord. As a beastlord, I COULD have my pet tank the entire time and just use my very mana efficient heals on him. However, this would take me four times as long to kill the monster and provide me with unnecessary downtime. A Necromancer could use only his pet and his heals and not use fear/snare/dots, but then again, why would he? He would only be gimping himself. Where I see a problem in this nerf to Mages is that their group capabilities have been lessened. A Mage's ability to have a pet offtank an add, for example, would now be very limited because of their inability to keep that pet healed. I know, as a Beastlord, if my heals were put on a 20 second timer, my pet would die after every single fight where the group has an add.

Just another perspective.

Okay, I've done some more tests. The character now was a level 65 magician with 189 INT and 170 CHA + 35 AA. He was using:

Defender of Sihala/Greater Vocaration: Earth/Envoy of Shiritri

Shock of Sun

Transon's (with new 3 sec cast time)

Burnout Blaze

Aegis of Tarhyl

Sword of Power

VS

Undead Keep Guard (level 50 undead creature - at night!)

Defender of Sihala: Soloed using 20% mana
Greater Vocaration Earth: Soloed using 40% mana.

Cursed Keep Guard (level 52 undead creature at night)

Defender of Sihala: Soloed using 40% mana
Greater Vocaration Earth: Soloed using 70% mana.

Cursed Keep Guard (level 54 undead creature at night)

Defender of Sihala: Soloed using 60% mana - pet died during one try, but still won
Greater Vocaration Earth: Soloed using 95% mana - pet died.

Orc Forsworn (level 52 humanoid)

Defender of Sihala: Soloed using 50% mana.
Envoy of Shiritri - Soloed using 40% mana.

---

I think this is a perfectly fair soloing ability. Soloing a level 54 mob using half your mana bar is not something a lot of classes can pull off, and expecting to solo a level 54 mob using less than half your bar and only hitting a single button throughout the entire fight is ridiculous.

Is this a nerf to mage soloing power? Yes. But mage soloing power was overpowered, not only in terms of mana they used, but also in how absolutely little effort it took. To achieve the above, I had to use a little modicrum of tactics. I would cycle two nukes with one heal, and in the case of the air pet, I had to kite a little (with run speed 3) when the air pet lost aggro and wait for the next stun so it could regain it. That's about as much tactics as your average level 25 druid uses, so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect high level magicians to learn it.

---

To answer the beastlord question, beastlords will be evaluated too and most likely getting recasts on their pet heals.

In fairness, in your tests where the pet died, do your mana usage statistics include summoning a new pet, and giving it whatever buffs, weapons, etc. that you used? That would be part of the soloing cycle (although not in the win/lose determination).

And Silvernine, other people in your group can heal your pet too. ;)

*disclaimer: most of the time I'm DC my mage and almost never use the pet heal.

GuiardoTuneweaver said:
In fairness, in your tests where the pet died, do your mana usage statistics include summoning a new pet, and giving it whatever buffs, weapons, etc. that you used? That would be part of the soloing cycle (although not in the win/lose determination).

And Silvernine, other people in your group can heal your pet too. ;)

*disclaimer: most of the time I'm DC my mage and almost never use the pet heal.

I only lost a pet once, and it was due to my own clumsiness. So 1 pet lost out of 10 or so fights total.

This is something that happens to EVERY class -- sometimes I have to zone and abandon a kite on my druid, or give up a mob I was trying to solo toe to toe with my monk. At least in the case of the magician above I did get the kill.

So far I've leveled my mage to 44 and have had absolutely no problems soloing just using my heals. It was pretty damn boring, especially because I two boxed a mage and rogue which meant if I wasn't in a group, xp was trickling in compared to playing solo or in a group (even with the increased killing speed of grouping with my rogue).

Atleast now I'll have to press three buttons instead of two. Also, hopefully this will cut down on the number of mages who have no fucking clue how to play their class thanks to the ability to mindlessly solo.

Zalman said:
Also, hopefully this will cut down on the number of mages who have no fucking clue how to play their class thanks to the ability to mindlessly solo.

That would be a welcome side effect. :eng101:

Well there goes that idea, had created a mage to try out their solo game for when I can't get a group. Guess I'll start a a different class then. Probably a chanter as I want to eventually do jc anyways.

Oh NOES!! Everybody re-roll as other classes... Mages can't bot-kill even cons all the way up to lvl 65!!!

Not really I wanted a chanter anyways, if the solo ability was cut down it simply = playing my mage much less as haven't had much luck in grouping her yet. In fairness of course she's only 15 atm, and started her recently. Eventually I want to shoot for 1 of each class anyways to learn the game. Fully learn it of course. Also if I really enjoyed dc'ing as I believe you're referring to in the bot-killing reference I'd be dcing my shammy w/my sk.

Ye... chanters are cool. I heard you can charm Kaezul and use him to kite all the GMs without having to stop for regen.

Back
Top Bottom