Crash after server select

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just waiting for server to come up to try out your theory baxtaber. I will let you know the results when it comes back up. Thanks again.

Jinxat.

Thanks for the advice baxtaber but it looks like this isnt a solution to the problem :sadf: . Hope we can get other ideas like this in the near future. Thanks again baxtaber.

Jinxat.

No problem, but I'm sorry that my fix didn't work. It must've just been a huge coincidence that it worked for me twice in a row.

:brow: I'm I the only one thats having this problem? I haven't seen any people in the past few days saying anything.
Iwish someone would have an answer i don't want to quit plaing it to much fun for FREE. Please someone fix it or somthing :sadf:

I get the problem too. Logging into the server takes a seemingly random number of attempts but I feel lucky if it is in the first 10. Also when I zone more often than not I'm bumped out of the game to restart the problem all over again. I myself have tried a number of ways of fixing it but all to no avail. Normally I'll get my hopes up when a change logs me in first time but then its always just a lucky attempt. I use zonealarm as my firewall and am wondering if the other users experiencing this use the same? Short of re-installing and re-patching I've tried all the possible fixes metioned on this thread.

When you guys get to server select, and you click play, does it attempt to bring you to char select? Do you get that far? Can you click enter world and then it dumps you back? Where exactly does it boot you. My friend is having the same problem, and even then, sometimes when he does get in, maybe 1 in 50 ... the next time he zones it says "zone file does not exist" and kicks him out. He's given up trying to play too, which is unfortunate because he was hyped to started. If someone can post exact step by step it would be appreciated.

Example: Open SoD Patcher, Advanced, Repatch all, Patch and run, login, get to server select, play, loads, get to char select, pick char, enter world, crash

Something like that.

EDIT: Also please include your hardware specs, be as detailed as possible. Thanks.

Well I know this isnt a hardware issue since I am able to connect to SoD sometimes, especially when I am on a different internet hookup but anyways my process is like this...

Open SoD Patcher, Patch and Run, login, get to server select, starts loading char select ... (before it is finished loading the game either crashes completely or reboots me back to the screen immediately after the Eula in which the process starts all over again).

Anyways hardware specs...P4 1.86 GHz, 512 MB of ram, ATI Mobility Radeon X600.

Like I said before though, running the game is no big deal for this computer. I have done it before quite easily and have even 2 boxed so its definately not a hardware issue. Anyways thanks for your efforts.

Just trying to find some key thing that would be the same on everyone who's having this problem. My friend is running a dual core Athlon, so I was curious if everyone having the problem was running an AMD chipset or something. He runs his internet through a cable modem. What types of anti virus/anti-spyware/zonealarm stuff do any of you use, if any at all. Curious to know of installed apps/running apps/installed but disabled, etc. Also Windows OS and SP Level would be helpful. Or if you want, you can Start -> Run -> msinfo32 -> export to a text file and e-mail it to me -> [email protected] and I can go from there. Would be easier for me instead of asking a million questions.

What happens to me exactly is that I get the problem when I click 'Play' to join the server. It tries to connect for about 15 seconds then returns with the message 'Error 1017: Cannot log into the everquest server'. The problem is strange as sometimes I can connect first time, (rare) but normally it takes 10 or more attempts to connect. Usually after 20+ attempts I give up.

Also when I zone in the game it starts loading but usually fails to connect to the server and I just get booted out of the game. Its a pain as I cannot join any groups so I just plug away with solo characters which sort of defeats the whole idea behind the game.

I run WindowsXP on a single core Athlon 3500, 1 gig RAM, 6800gt graphics card and a broadband connection. Also about 2 months back I got an email from sony inviting me to play the original Everquest for free for a month. I had no issues playing the game and it ran smooth as clockwork.

I've now tried every fix in this thread and looked at the 'Error 1017' threads with the search option but with no result. I uninstalled EQ and re-installed just last night but still the same.

This error appears to be very random in its occurance as it does not matter if there is 90 or 300 people on the server the error still comes as frequently.

Are any of you using an external firewall/router? By this I mean Internet Cable Modem/Device -> Firewall/Router -> Your Computer
This is NOT the Windows Firewall.

Nope. The only firewall I have up is windows firewall. I even tried disabling that, and it didnt work. I dont really know what else to do. But thanks for your help xardon :) .

I have my router firewall up. I have the ports that are listed in a previous post opened for SoD. I am running through a cable connection. I can tell you that it is definitly NOT a problem related to an AMD chip. Here are the computers at my house that will not connect.

AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2.2 GHz
Nvidia geForce 6800
1mb ram
Windows XP MCE SP2

Pentium 3 Can't remember speed off the top of my head, and I'm at work. It is adequate, though.
Nvidia geForce 5200
512mb ram
Windows XP SP2

Pentium M 1.73 GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon X300
512mb ram
Windows XP Pro SP2

Launch patcher->Log in->server select screen->crash to 1017

This happens every time on any of these computers. I suppose since everyone else (except for poor Jinx who has had this problem just as long as I have) is able to connect eventually, I would be able to also. But, after 10 or 15 failed attempts, I move on to another game. The few times I am able to get in, which hasn't happened in months, I have a 50/50 chance of being disconnected on zoning, so logging in isn't really worth it to begin with. It's sad really, because I love playing here. I probably should get over it and move on because I haven't been able to log in since Xmas. I keep it around and check occaisonally (sp?) and keep up with the forums though because the staff here really have done an amazing job bringing back what was fun about Game to begin with. Let me know if you need any other info to compare with. If the staff are still paying attention to this thread (doesn't seem like it), please put up some kind of response. Go die, we don't know, we are working on it still, we'll never work on it so bye bye. Anything at all would be nice.

EDIT-Router firewall is the only one up. Windows is turned off. On two computers (AMD and laptop) my antivirus is AntiVir which I turn off before playing any MMO. On the Pentium tower, I have Norton which also gets turned off before playing an MMO.

Based on tests, pretty confindent it is NOT any of the following problems:

CPU Type (Both brand and number of processors)
VIDEO CARD Type
Hardware incompatibility
Drivers (based on the reports I have recieved)
Lack of processing power
Spyware
Viruses

Unknowns:
Network Card type (LAN vs. Wireless)
Network infrastructure
Anti-Virus Running (If so what AV program?)
.Net Framework 1.1 vs. 2.0 (Not sure if this could cause an issue, but I know my friend has Visual Studio 2005 w/ .net 2.0 installed)

Variables:
Internet connection stability (includes program downloads like bittorrent, kazaa, etc)

My network is all wireless. I did try plugging into the router and directly into the modem. Neither helped. I have .net framework 1.1 with the hotfix. I use Norton and AntiVir, neither of which are running when trying to connect. My internet connection is at a stable 54mbps 99% of the time. When plugged directly into the router or modem, it is extremely stable and sometimes my numbers tell me it's even faster. I don't know how it could actually be above 54mbps if that is the connection speed cap, it's just what I've seen. I don't really believe it too much. I do not leave anything like bittorrent or soulseek or any other bandwidth muncher running when connecting to any MMO. Haven't tried using .net 2.0 yet. I have a Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G broadband router running to my cable modem. The two towers have a Linksys WMP54GS Wireless-G PCI adapter with speed booster, and the laptop has an Intel PRO/Wireless 2145 ABG. All of the computers use the integrated 10/100 connection when I plug them in. Is this all of the information you need? I will send more if you need it.

All cpus I listed above are single core. Also, I forgot to mention that the Nvidia cards are actually eVga clones using the Geforce chipsets. Still good cards, though. =P The Radeon is actually ATI (afaik they don't third party their chipsets out to anyone, but I could be wrong). Also forgot to mention that the eVgas have 128mb ram and the ATI has a piddly 64. =( Hey, my work bought it for me, what can you do? It still runs all of my games at impressive speeds, with some options turned down here and there. Amazingly, it runs Oblivion rather well. =)

Ok it appears this worked for my friend ... please try this and let me know:

Right click on your EQ-SoD installed folder, properties, UNCHECK Read Only, Apply, Apply to ALL Subfolders and files.

Repatch all ... Patch and Run ... Let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom