Crash after server select

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for the heck of it, have any of you tried to re-install Directx ? I assume you guys have tried playing other games, etc. But just curious.

No luck here either, but thankyou for helping us out here. It is much appreciated that you are taking the time to look into this problem.

On the DX9 question: I've not re-installed it at all but it run perfect on all the software I have. I am beginning to suspect more and more that the problem is server side.

I haven't reinstalled directx, but like fadeuken, I really think this is server side. I am having the exact same problem on three computers at my house. Plus the problem extends to friends' computers, although they can log in to their accounts with no problem. Well...now that I think about it...Sorry, I'm too lazy and tired to erase everything I just wrote.... I have gotten a new computer since all of this started happening. Game was one of the first that I put on that computer, and the ones before it were older ones that don't use dx9 (baldur's gate, icewind dale..things like that. DX7 or 8). So, yes, after installing Game I did do a fresh install of DX9c. Problem still there. I know back around November or December there was talk of upping the timeout and seeing if that may be causing the issue. I don't remember hearing if it was ever done or not. Does anybody remember if it was tried?

I just reinstalled DX9 with no luck. I remember somebody saying something about upping the timeout rate but Im not sure if it was ever done. Could the admins possibly look at this? Maybe up it if it was never upped or increase it a little more if it was upped before? Because like I said before I firmly believe that this is strictly a server side issue since I dont have this problem when I am on a good internet connection. Please read this admins!!!

Thanks, Jinxat.

Um, if it's strictly serverside why will it work on one computer, but not on another? Coming from the exact same house?

Also, try this:
Code:
   	Answer
  	This error indicates you are not able to connect to the game, usually due to firewall software or your network configuration (router).

First try disabling any programs running including Firewall and Anti-virus software. You can do this by:

Select the START button.
Select RUN.
Type in "msconfig" (without the ")
Press OK
Select the STARTUP tab.
If you use Windows XP click Disable All at the bottom otherwise in the list, uncheck all boxes EXCEPT for SCANREGISTRY and SYSTEM TRAY. Hit apply and then OK or Close. Restart the computer then try the game again.

If your are still unable to connect, you will want to uninstall the firewall software by going to the Add/Remove Programs option in the Control panel. Restart the computer once the software has been removed and try the game.

Next if you have a router you will want to remove the router to eliminate it as a possibility of being the problem. You can do this by shutting down the computer and the modem. Now connect the modem directly to the computer, once the modem has been off for 30 seconds turn the modem and computer back on. Test your connection to the Internet and then try the game.

Firewall / Router / Proxy Information:

- EverQuest -
http://eqlive.station.sony.com/support/tech_support/ts_network_support_firewall_proxy_info.jsp

- EverQuest II -

Firewall / Proxy
http://eq2players.station.sony.com/en/support_article.vm?label=FirewallProxyInfo
Router Info
http://eq2players.station.sony.com/en/support_article.vm?label=RouterSupport

- EverQuest Online Adventures -
http://everquestonlineadventures.station.sony.com/content.jsp?page=Routers

- Matrix Online -
In order for the game servers to communicate with your game client reliably, firewalls and routers may need to be configured to allow traffic on TCP ports 80, 5190, 11000, and 10000. It will also need to allow the program to communicate on UDP ports 10000 and 11000.

- PlanetSide -

Firewall / Proxy
http://planetside.station.sony.com/support/tech_support/firewall_proxy.jsp
Router Info
http://planetside.station.sony.com/support/tech_support/router_support.jsp

- Star wars Galaxies -

Firewall / Proxy info
http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/content.jsp?page=Tech%20Support%20Firewall%20Proxy
Router Info
http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/content.jsp?page=Tech%20Support%20Routers

If you have removed your firewall and antivirus software and removed your router, you may want to contact your ISP. They may have certain port-blocking or Quality of Service features enabled on your connection, which may interfere with your connection. Please ask them to remove any such QoS or port blocking so you may connect.

I think this is a server side issue because I usually play from a university residence. My internet connection says "10 mbps", however, I share that connection with anywhere from 1-3000 people at any given time. This causes my internet to be extremely slow. I am able to connect on this same computer when I go back home for the weekend since I have high speed there and have no problems connecting. However, its only when I am in residence that I have these errors. Just my thinking that its server-side. I tried that last suggestion of disabling all that stuff from msconfig, but it didnt work. The only firewall I use is windows firewall. I have tried disabling that and/or allowing SoD by unblocking the ports as well as the programs, however, that has been unsuccessful as well. I dont have a router so that wouldnt be the cause of the problem.

Anyways, thanks for your help homogenn. Its really nice to see an admin comment on the issue.

Thanks again, Jinxat.

P.S. I play on a laptop at school and when I go home I bring it with me. I am able to play without any problems while on my laptop at home. Thanks again.

On a hunch ... go into your options and turn off your sound and see if that does anything, possibly even test it by turning off everything on that screen and drop your screen resolution down to 800x600.

Tried the sound and 800x600 suggestion and no luck. My dbg.txt can be found on page 2 or 3 but I will email it you to xardon. Thanks again for your help guys. Looking more and more like this wont get resolved :( .

Jinxat.

I had this issue a lot on my old computer when running P2P software. When I turned it off, it worked fine. Maybe it's if you don't respond fast enough.

Homogenn is correct with that too, when I lived with roommates, one left Kazaa up 24-7 and we kept getting dropped from Live ALL the time, when we called our cable company to complain about the lack of speed, they detected someone was running a file sharing server from our house. When we asked him he was like "oops I didn't realize that would cause problems"

Though ours would still let us play, but it was very laggy and we'd get booted frequently.

Homogenn- The reason I am thinking it's serverside is because I cannot connect to either of my two accounts from any computer. That is, any computer in my house or a computer from other peoples' houses. The only thing my connection has in common with my friends' is that we all have cable. We have different ISPs, live in different states, have a different infrastructure. It could be a horrible coincidence, but I cannot think of anything else it might be. In my case at least, it seems to be something tied to my accounts. I have tried taking the router out of the sequence before, and I have also set up a computer to a DMZ, but neither of those helped. The only firewall I have up is the router firewall, but I have the ports that Wany said SoD uses open. That list of ports is almost a year old, so I don't know if anything has changed there. I'll try the startup changes you mentioned after work. My dbg.txt file is posted (in its ENTIRETY, sorry) somewhere around page 3 of this thread. I also make sure all of my bandwidth stealers, namely Bittorrent and Soulseek, are turned off when I do just about anything. I usually only let those run overnight while I am in bed.

Xardon- I will try the sound when I get home from work. As I said directly above, my dbg.txt file is posted somewhere around page 3 of this thread. If you would like an updated file, let me know and I will mail it to you. I'm expecting it will say the exact same thing, though.

Thanks both of you for all of your efforts. Homogenn thanks for putting up a response. It was feeling like the powers that be had forgotten about us.

Another item that I found this problem related to on the EQLive forums is CUSTOM UI's causing the problem. I would recommend purging your uifiles folder as well as your character INI files. Let the game rebuild them from scratch the next time you log in.

**EDIT** Another thought that came to mind, have you guys run anti-spyware programs like adware, etc to make sure you're not infected by some odd spyware bug? Also if you have any download managers like CNET, Yahoo Toolbar, Google Toolbar, etc remove them as well, I know in my place of business they have caused connection problems with other various apps.

I was using the WoW UI, but I took it off a long time ago. No custom UIs for me since then. I have adaware set to run at 2:00am every day, followed by windows defender at 3:00am. After that I have AntiVir run at 4:30am every day, so I am fairly certain it isn't malware. I don't use any download managers or toolbars. Toolbars are a touchy subject for me atm, and I avoid them at all costs. I also work in the tech dept for a school district. We recently switched to a web based reading program. When I went around setting up every single computer for the program, one of the things I had to do was uninstall toolbars because they will block the incoming tests. I left notes and sent an email out to everybody explaining why they need to keep the toolbars off. Of course, within a week, people were emailing me "help AR doesn't work anymore." Toolbars were back. :mad: I didn't like them before, but now they just ruin my day. Sorry for rambling off topic.

Xardon said:
Another item that I found this problem related to on the EQLive forums is CUSTOM UI's causing the problem. I would recommend purging your uifiles folder as well as your character INI files. Let the game rebuild them from scratch the next time you log in.

**EDIT** Another thought that came to mind, have you guys run anti-spyware programs like adware, etc to make sure you're not infected by some odd spyware bug? Also if you have any download managers like CNET, Yahoo Toolbar, Google Toolbar, etc remove them as well, I know in my place of business they have caused connection problems with other various apps.

Wait what? When does this occur? After or before you get to character select? Because from what I remember when this thread was started (a long time ago) it was server select that would screw up.

Also, starting a new thread would really be helpful, because I generally ignore old threads, since it has been bombed with information making it impossible to figure out which is relative or not.

And did you try what I wrote in the quote from EQLive's help database?

(namely)
Code:
If you use Windows XP click Disable All at the bottom otherwise in the list, uncheck all boxes EXCEPT for SCANREGISTRY and SYSTEM TRAY. Hit apply and then OK or Close. Restart the computer then try the game again.

My problem is still coming from server select, like you remember. And yes, I did try what you quoted from the Live board. Sorry. I forgot to mention that in my reply. Still got the 1017 from server select.

Homogenn said:
Xardon said:

Wait what? When does this occur? After or before you get to character select? Because from what I remember when this thread was started (a long time ago) it was server select that would screw up.

Also, starting a new thread would really be helpful, because I generally ignore old threads, since it has been bombed with information making it impossible to figure out which is relative or not.

And did you try what I wrote in the quote from EQLive's help database?

(namely)
Code:

I personally am not having problems, I can't even seem to replicate the issue. I'm simply trying to assist them in fixing the problem. From what *I* was *told* when they click to enter the world, it attempts to load into Char Select, and bombs out, booting them back to Server Select/or crashing to desktop. My friend explained to me that he enters world from SERVER SELECT, it attempts to load into Char Select, and drops him right back to server select. He has not extensively tested it, but when he re-applied a removal of READ only for all files and folders under his EQ-SoD install, he was able to log back in, and zone from Stingers bog to Miel A and back, but he has not actually played for an extended period of time since then to test other zones, etc. But that appeared to solve his problem ....... for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom