Crash while zoning

Well I've kept playing since then but I crashed again just now and I checked that file and it said:

"UIErrorLog created at Wed Dec 03 01:32:50 2008"

which was right around the time I crashed. (I am using the standard UI btw).

Just crashed when I ported out. 1 character made it the other didn't.
DBG log.

[Tue Dec 02 20:42:58 2008]02689:wait_message is returning: msgptr = 0x00e09bf8

[Tue Dec 02 20:42:58 2008]02690:wait_message(), (g_rdp=0x0430d1c8, g_world=0x2f4b85f8) before receive

[Tue Dec 02 20:43:00 2008]02691:wait_message(), after receive, msg is 0x00e09bf8

[Tue Dec 02 20:43:00 2008]02692:wait_message is returning: msgptr = 0x00e09bf8

[Tue Dec 02 20:43:00 2008]02693:wait_message(), (g_rdp=0x0430d1c8, g_world=0x2f4b85f8) before receive

[Tue Dec 02 20:43:02 2008]02694:wait_message(), after receive, msg is 0x00e09bf8

[Tue Dec 02 20:43:02 2008]02695:wait_message is returning: msgptr = 0x00e09bf8

[Tue Dec 02 20:43:02 2008]02696:wait_message(), (g_rdp=0x0430d1c8, g_world=0x2f4b85f8) before receive

[Tue Dec 02 20:43:04 2008]02697:wait_message(), after receive, msg is 0x00e09bf8

[Tue Dec 02 20:43:04 2008]02698:wait_message is returning: msgptr = 0x00e09bf8

[Tue Dec 02 20:43:04 2008]02699:wait_message(), (g_rdp=0x0430d1c8, g_world=0x2f4b85f8) before receive

also, I could not find a UIerrors.txt file. should it be in the root eq folder?

Ac tincidunt vitae semper quis lectus nulla at. Id semper risus in hendrerit gravida rutrum. Volutpat diam ut venenatis tellus in metus vulputate eu. Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus. Non arcu risus quis varius quam quisque id diam vel.

Last edited:
In my experience, its a cable thing. I have 2 connections, 1 dsl and 1 cable. I crash a lot while on cable but i sometimes get 1017 on DSL but never crash. So i end up using cable only when DSl is acting up and just live with the crashes. Crashes happen a lot less if not boxing on cable also.

Both connections are 1.5 mbits

Ahh that's worrying.

It's strange though because I used to play on cable just fine, same ISP, same router, same modem, all was fine. The only thing that has changed is that I upgraded my service from 2mbit to 20mbit.

Ac tincidunt vitae semper quis lectus nulla at. Id semper risus in hendrerit gravida rutrum. Volutpat diam ut venenatis tellus in metus vulputate eu. Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus. Non arcu risus quis varius quam quisque id diam vel.

Last edited:
Thank you Shazam and emachine74 for all your advice. Like telove2 was saying I didn't have any issues like this roughly a year ago and I am also using the same hardware. Unlike what Shazam is saying I never crash when I'm in zone. Once I get to my destination (Heartlands for example) I can play there for hours before I crash the same way everyone else does. Ofcourse getting 2 characters to the zone is difficult. Last night I was trying to port around helping someone do a Thurg quest and it was a painful experience. Something else I wanted to add. I have 2 full installs of EQ on my system. I have tried logging into both and I have had 2 characters (separate accounts) log from the same EQ folder. It doesn't make a difference. I always thought that during the time I was this year (December to April) that some update happened and it affected my logging in. I never found any evidence of this update in the forums.
I will continue to do some research on this and see if I can come up with a solution that will help telove2 and I (and others) and I will post it.

Thanks again to all that assisted us in this post.

Yeah thanks for the help.

And yeah Zengo and I have the same problem. No crashing when in the zone, only when zoning. And yes, my network hardware is all the same as it was when I used to play with no problems.

If anyone ever has any ideas, please let me know. Until then, it is a struggle to play.

p.s. I googled that error and found other people talking about it too, both on this forum and others. There doesn't seem to be any mention of a solution amongst the pages though.

I'm getting this issue as well. I'm fine if I'm in the zone (although I think my packet loss is really high for my connection, something to do with server location?), but a lot of times when I zone, it'll hang there.. awhile after it'll say Entering zone X... and then do nothing forever. If I alt-tab out and back into my SoD window, the window will have the "outline" with nothing inside, so I either Alt F4 or right click the tab on my taskbar and close.

My mobo is the EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI, running nforce chipset drivers.

My connection type is unique, since I recently moved in with my father due to losing my home (long story). He lives "in the middle of nowhere" and uses some sort of wireless broadband ISP. It's not nearly as good as cable/dsl but way way better than dial-up, and should be more than enough for a MMORPG (I used to play EQ on dial-up np). I haven't played SoD fulltime in a long long time (back when it was WR), however a friend and I rolled some toons a few month ago, while I was on a cable connection, same computer listed above. I don't remember having any issues, strangely enough. Since that time though, I DID replace the mobo (with the same model, the old one died randomly) and reinstalled Windows + drivers. Back when I first played SoD I played on my old EQ AMD / ATI box and had no issues (even played it awhile on dial-up).

I'm not running any firewalls (besides my router) or antivirus. I tried bypassing my router for a straight connection to my PC and the issue remained.

DBG.txt from recent zone stall:

[Tue Dec 16 13:34:07 2008]02383:Zone addr [72.55.164.91:7487] received...
[Tue Dec 16 13:34:07 2008]02384:net_connect(), (g_rdp=0x00000000, g_world=0x00000000) before receive

[Tue Dec 16 13:34:07 2008]02385:net_connect: rdp 0x06df7b58 is connecting to 72.55.164.91:7487...

[Tue Dec 16 13:34:07 2008]02386:net_connect: I am connected to 72.55.164.91:7487...

[Tue Dec 16 13:34:07 2008]02387:net_connect: returning 0...

[Tue Dec 16 13:34:07 2008]02388:Connected to 72.55.164.91:7487...

[Tue Dec 16 13:34:07 2008]02389:Sent request to zone for EQPlayer.

THIS doesn't look good, but I've always seemed to have issues with the SoD server, and figure there's really no way to improve the connection, right?

Pinging 72.55.164.91 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Reply from 72.55.164.91: bytes=32 time=353ms TTL=117
Request timed out.
Reply from 72.55.164.91: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=117
Reply from 72.55.164.91: bytes=32 time=255ms TTL=117
Reply from 72.55.164.91: bytes=32 time=52ms TTL=117
Reply from 72.55.164.91: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=117

[About 7 more lines later]

Request timed out.
Reply from 72.55.164.91: bytes=32 time=146ms TTL=117
Request timed out.
Reply from 72.55.164.91: bytes=32 time=133ms TTL=117
Reply from 72.55.164.91: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=117

[etc]

Ping statistics for 72.55.164.91:
Packets: Send = 50, Received = 46, Lost = 4 (8% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 20 ms, Maximum = 796ms, Average = 132ms

If I can provide any additional useful info please let me know. thanks.

Last edited:
The only new info I have about this, was when I was grouped with a guy in game called "Thane".

He told me that he used to have this problem and reinstalled the game about 3 or 4 times and then eventually, reinstalled windows. He said the issue went after that.

I since tried reinstalling the game again and again, so in total, I've reinstalled it 4 times now from scratch, but the issue still remains. All I can think is that it's some issue with something that has been installed on my PC at some point, and the way to solve it, is to reinstall windows. I plan on doing this but I need to find the motivation. It will most likely be in January as I'm going on a trip between now and then anyway. If it works (which I think it will), I'll post back. Not the best solution I know... but it's better than nothing.

I have had some minor success with this trick.
I am using Windows Firewall (off of Win XP sp3). I have been going into the firewall settings and removing and adding the eqgame.exe file as an exception to the list. That seems to fix it for awhile. I have tested this on 2 computers and it has helped.
So, if you are using Windows Firewall, give that a try.

I don't use windows firewall either, I use ZoneAlarm. Just to check though, I tried adding EQgame to windows firewall and also disabled ZoneAlarm. It didn't help :(

Reinstall of windows not working is worrying! If that doesn't work then I'm all out of hope.

Well if you want to go through the effort of re-installing Windows then by all means, try it out. But I know that this issue is the same pre Windows XP installs (went from normal XP Pro to a performance edition, for reasons other than SoD).

Networking stuff is probably my lowest area of computer expertise, but the connection I get to the SoD server does not seem normal. In game I go from 0 to 20+ % packet loss all the time, and a lot of times when I fight a mob lately I just go LD and die. Last time I played I got up to 100% exp debt for no fault of mine (just kept lagging out / getting DC'ed whenever I tried to fight something). My connection just seems absolutely abysmal, worse than dial-up, so I'm thinking there's some port thing or something I can do. Like I said, I don't know much about networking. As you can see from the ping above, my connection to the server blows.

Game is unplayable for me currently, which is disappointing because I was really excited to get back to the game. It seems like the lag and disconnects just keep getting worse and worse for me. I just logged in, into South Newport. By the time I went to the bathroom and came back, I was back to the server select. I don't think I'm going to bother with SoD anymore unless something can be figured out.

Is there possibly a port or something I should be forwarding on my router, like with P2P / torrent clients?

Can anyone else confirm this:

I've always been sort of able to tell if the zone wasn't going to work just by listening to my computer's hard drive. However, I'm pretty sure I found a better way. Normally when you zone correctly, the green latency bar disappears and reappears after you finish zoning. Every time the zoning fails for me, that latency bar doesn't go away. Probably means nothing but I'm not sure if it's valuable to know that it seems like the failure is instantaneous - something is screwing up the very first moment you hit that zone line. Again, not sure what it proves but this is driving me crazy so I'm looking for any semblance of a clue.

That doesn't seem to be the case with me. My green latency bar stays up whether I go through a successful zone, or one of the fail zones where it takes me to server select.

p.s.
Has anyone tried asking Wiz about this? I tried PM'ing him here but got no reply. I doubt anyone knows more about EQEMU than him.

pps:
I have a couple of little theories regarding this too btw. First one is, I find that if you zone and you stay on that screen and don't alt tab to your other character, you have a higher chance of making it across. I'm not 100% on this but I'm fairly sure it helps. Secondly, I find that if you spam stuff while you are zoning, it increases your chance of making it across. So if you hit the zone, and then as you are zoning, press Enter/Return key about 12 times quickly. I find that makes me more likely to come out the other side.

It's hard to know if these actually work or if it's just a coincidence that it zones when I do one (or both) of these things, but I think it helps anyway. Either way though, this problem is still a royal pain in the ass. Of all the bugs I've seen people talking about in this game, I think this probably the worst one, because it makes the game almost unplayable. For example, I got in Tmap group recently and it required going from zone to zone to zone, dozens of times, then doing a tmap and then doing it again. They always had to start without me, or wait a good 10-15 minutes extra for me. Nobody complained because none of them really knew me, but if I was in a guild and this was happening all the time, they would end up getting really tired of it no doubt. As I am.

Last edited:
I noticed the alt-tab thing as well. It seems like if I alt-tab while zoning I almost never make it across. I haven't tried the spamming thing though.

I've noticed my connection to the server lately is just all around terrible so I'm just really able to play although I'd really love to. Sometimes I hit huge lag spikes just from getting aggro, and I'm sick of losing exp because of a lag hiccup.

My connection to the server was really bad before Xmas but I've been away a while and since I've been back it's been good.

I took my own advice tonight and every time I zoned, I pressed the Return/Enter key 12 times quickly. It definitely seems to help. I still crashed plenty, but it was more like 40% - 50% of the time, rather than 90%-100% of the time. It can still take a while to cross, but it definitely seems to be helping me. It is still not a good situation though, and playing is difficult.

Just wondering about a few things. For those of you have this problem, what software do you use for defragging? Also, is the hard drive that contains your game partitioned into multiple drives, or is it one drive?

With me, my main disk is partitioned into two. I have C: with the game on, and then X: which is the same physical disk, but a separate partition which I use to store stuff on.

For my defrag software, I have been using O&O defrag, which today I have uninstalled and I got a trial of something called Diskeeper instead to see if that made a difference. After installing it and running a defrag, I got all excited because I zoned a few times in the game in about 2 or 3 seconds and I thought it might be fixed. But since then it's been as bad as ever :(

Back
Top Bottom