"Hardcore" real character death mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think taking out the gate mechanic is necessarily fair, but maybe work around is they get a clicky to starting city, same cast time as gate unlimited charges.

pretty sure he meant how would they cast Gate (translocate to bind) during normal play if they're permabound to the archive. once a character has died, they would be unable to gate so they couldn't leave The Archive, but that part wouldn't be hard to code.

Part of the beauty of the idea is the simplicity it's probably better not to needlessly complicate it.

Oh wow, removing the ability to gate is a bit much, imo. That's the smushy casters only lifesaver

I actually love this idea EVEN THOUGH I KNOW it would be pretty much unused after a month or so. THE ARCHIVES part is the hard part... basically it would be easier if you had to make a new acct for every character from a code perspective but from a non code perspective that is really awful so I'm trying to find a way around it.

Also making sure people contribute to a fight is not impossible but would require some zaela-level number-friendship.

Like I said I'll look into it... as long as everyone promises to remember it's completely opt-in and the only reward is the challenge itself we can have a good time.

Keep in mind, the requirement of participation is only for HC flagged toons. I don't want to kill my guildies ability to leech my farming exp!!!

My biggest worry is that these characters would just sit back all the time and collect loot.

We would have to figure a way to make that not happen. We also would have to make sure that player and self inflicted death did not count.

Finally, I am not sure I like the "Archives" zone idea. It would be easy enough to enshrine them on Fomelo but have the character become inaccessible.

Also 10x might be a good deal too much. 3-4x perhaps.

Finally, a server wide message when a level 65 HC dies.

Going to mull over this more.

My biggest worry is that these characters would just sit back all the time and collect loot.
What would that matter? You can do that with characters now and the loot is worthless once they die.

We also would have to make sure that player and self inflicted death did not count.
Why wouldn't player death count, that's a decision you make. For self inflicted death the whole point is eventually you're going to die so what does it matter? Excluding any kind of death just raises a myriad of problems regarding exploitation.

They die once and then they go away! No amount of experience is going to prevent them from finally expiring. You can have all tomes and AAs done after a few weeks and what does it matter if it's all down the drain after your first raid wipe?

I could maybe see excluding under level 5 or something but the whole point is to celebrate the triumph of leveling up without dying which can be pretty damn difficult especially for some classes.

I brought this up earlier and a "participation" flag strictly for HC flagged characters only in order to receive XP/loot corpses should be almost mandatory if this is going to happen, to avoid exactly this.

The whole point is to add a sense of danger and adventure to the game. Sitting back and collecting loot without participating goes against that.

Also, in response to:

Gerick said:
What would that matter? You can do that with characters now and the loot is worthless once they die.
I don't know how well the whole "must contribute" rule is enforced, but I know Worthy absolutely has never given loot to someone who didn't do damage to the mob via melee/spell or cast a beneficial spell on another player/debuff on the mob. We take the "every member of the raid must contribute" rule very seriously.

For HC flagged toons, it should be taken a step further and absolutely make sure they are participating in some way in order to get experience and/or loots, as that is what makes this fun. They have to actually have a chance to die, not just being brought along for funzies and so someone can have the best geared HC alt that never actually does anything. Of course, I have no issues with a HC flagged character waiting back to make sure engage goes smoothly and all that for 15-20% of a bosses HP before they run in to attack and such. Never know!

All deaths should count towards the ONE death. That includes suiciding, server crashing, a group healer deciding not to gheal due to bong hits, player versus player, or lag.

Finally, the biggest reason I like this idea is because I would absolutely love love love to see PVP "battleground" type events being ran with the HC flagged character in mind. Free for all, teams, tournaments...it opens up a whole lot of very fun options. Especially if the idea of a HC flagged toon having trading disabled goes in, so they're only looting what they quest or kill for. Of course, the option to flag your character as hardcore must then be made in the Dream, before the character is able to make contact with other players. Otherwise people will definitely abuse the system by handing the character lots of gear before they go flag HC at a priest of war or whatever.

People do this already with characters. If anything this is more preventable because the fruits of their labor will perish with the inevitable death somewhere down the road. It isn't fun to do this, anyhow.

We would have to figure a way to make that not happen. We also would have to make sure that player and self inflicted death did not count.

These deaths should count or you're gonna see a rash of people nuking themselves to death to escape all those liodreths chasing them.

Finally, I am not sure I like the "Archives" zone idea. It would be easy enough to enshrine them on Fomelo but have the character become inaccessible.

Enshrining of fomelo is fine, the archives is a cool but unnecessary mechanic that involves more work than is necessary, in all likelihood.

This will probably have to be adjusted as the first people play through. The good part of an HC system is that you can always wipe out the progress or start a second ranking to keep parity of records after such a major adjustment has been made.

Yeah!

Going to mull over this more.

lXr3B.gif

Thanks for considering the idea.

If exp gain was increased 10 fold, it would be tough to keep all of your "skills" up to their level. Im assuming it would be impossible to increase the rate of skill-ups for only hardcore toons, but would just be something to consider.

Yeah, frankly I find it hard even with normal exp to keep your skills up to level. Maybe this is the troll penalty (I'm not sure if it negatively impacts combat skills, since I've never bothered to check) but I feel like when I hit 65 my skills are usually lagging a bit behind, including having 0 2hb skill when I got the turruj bst 2hander, oops.

Good to see that this has support

Haters gonna hate

<Immortal> was an awful idea

This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of lol..

Ohhh shit our mr bard died from rampage.. guess he won't be raiding with us anymore!

Oh shit, someone trained gnolls into the tunnel to BB, zone quick!!

OH SHIT SOMEONE TRAINED BASEMENT TO BB ENTRANCE, ZONE BACK

HOLY FUCK THE GNOLLS OUTSIDE ARE STILL THERE

GG goodbye immortal

Face it, you have a bizarre idea that has attracted enough attention from people to make some of them actually think about it long enough to be amused.

Make sure none of the 10 people you eventually get together to make the guild are PvP flagged.

Hehe, that's funny.

I think this is a cool idea. Not one to be taken incredibly seriously, but cool. I would even think of rolling up something just to be a part.

Posting in chillville (DELETEEEEEED) because i didnt want to shit up your thread but this is seriously a retarded idea it wont fly ever (etc etc etc)

Last edited:
I like the idea of hardcore characters. I do not like the idea of hardcore characters causing incentive to do undertiered content people would normally not do for hc character loot. I don't actually read threads so I have no idea if this was discussed already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom