Jail Time, really?

Matbar

Dalayan Adventurer
This evening I had logged in around 7:00, picked up my mail on Matbar, did a few things etc. with no problem. I log in a couple hours later to find out I am in jail. Apparently someone jailed all of the characters on my account because of one vendor I had with a naming violation. I will grant you, the vendor is in clear violation of the policy, and though I've seen literally DOZENS of active player characters in flagrant violation, not to mention the numerous vendors, still I broke the rules. If someone has suddenly chosen to care then fine. However, to my knowledge that has always been met with said character logging in to a warning that they need to petition for a change immediately, or suffer disconnects until they comply. I've NEVER heard of anyone getting put in jail for it, and I've never seen anyone given a jail sentence while they weren't even online to see why. I find it utterly ridiculous that I'm sitting online right now waiting for an answer to a petition for something that shouldn't have happened. I hope I don't have to sit down and petition every character on the account separately. Can someone at least please tell me if this was some sort of new admin's mistake? I have a pretty spotless reputation on this server, and am very respectful of staff, so I'm a bit put out at the forcefulness of the reaction here.

if you've never been jailed you are nothing on this server. so, congratulations

hardmode: get banned and unbanned

Unofficial reply:

1. Jailing is account-based, there is no jailing less than all the characters on an account because it is the account that is jailed.

2. The nameflagging system is not set up super well, it requires the character being flagged to be online at the time. If the character is not online at the time, it (currently) can't be done. So the GM in question can either sit around all day constantly checking if the character is online, or they can jail so that the person will announce their presence to GMs when they get online. Guess which is more convenient.

Aside: in a human-driven enforcement system with no meaningful, independent checks and balances, the likelihood of encforcements being 100% consistent is pretty much nil, and anyone who seriously expects (or hopes) the system to live up to that ideal is more than a little naive. People will rule on things as they become aware of them, with unknowns filled in by hunches and suspicions, and severity depending more on their mood and level of patience at the time than any strict guideline.

Yeah, I got an explanation last night, pretty much what Zaela said if anyone wants to know. Apparently my main was just collateral damage. Once I found that out and that my main hadn’t been jailed for a naming violation on another character it made a lot more sense. Apparently the red “fix this now” text never came through, even when I logged in the naughty character. Once someone gave me the IRC infos Woldaff said that I should have already gotten the message. He was kind enough to refresh it and I was able to free my peeps.

I know there is no way to catch everyone, that’s not what I was getting at with that comment. It was more that I was under the impression nobody cared about the naming policy anymore, so to get clapped in jail without getting the text to change my name seemed crazy. That character has been selling potions maybe 2 months, and there are scads of people on listsold with descriptive names who have been around forever. Plus I haven't seen a jail sentence for a name nerf in probably a year, and that was someone who renamed offensively three times in a row, and they only got an hour to "read the naming policy."

Daffie, if you really want to know, it was Poshenz the potion seller :) Yeah, legit nerf and all, I just expected that if they decided to start enforcing I'd get a message. I logged Matbar in first, so I'm going "ACK, why am I in jail?" and didn't know to hail the guy since I've never been there before. Like I said, I've been pretty careful to stay out of trouble and I do truly respect the staff, so I was having a serious "WTF?" moment for a while.

Hahaha it's funny you bring my name up. I've gone by Dinadass in every mmo I've played ever since I took over a friend's EQ1 warrior with the name back in like 2003. I tried getting a name change from the EQ GMs using the same argument you just did and they refused me :(

th
I feel like we should shut down the forums, this is the greatest post of all time.

I call it like I see it!

Last edited:
OnceI got all my characters jailed for 999 days because I named my bank alt fartzfartzfartzf and it turns out that is not al legitimate name for a bank alt.

Back
Top Bottom