Live Test Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiz

NOT DONATING *EVER*
Last thread was pretty cluttered.

Some changes we were testing on test server went in prematurely with fixes today. As a result, we will be leaving them there so they can be live-tested for balance. The changes are as follows:

1) You can no longer meditate in combat. In combat is defined as being on the aggro list of an NPC (unless all you have is proximity aggro), or being in a group with someone that is in combat.
2) Meditate, when it is available, is MUCH MUCH faster.
3) There are no more "fleeting" mana/hp regen caps. The caps are at 30 mana regen from spells, 20 mana regen from items, and 40 hp regen from items.
4) Melee skill caps for int/wis caster classes have been severely increased.
5) NPCs will remember you for a few minutes or as long as they are in combat if you zone/log out.

In other words, there are is no longer ANY benefit to sitting on your ass in combat. If you want to be the most efficent, you should be meleeing or doing other things at all times. The intention of this change is to reduce downtime without unbalancing encounters and just making the game more fun in general, especially for healing classes who can now be an active part of their group instead of just sitting down and occasionally healing.

These changes will either be confirmed or rolled back on Wednesday.

I like these new changes, but they seem to have made the cannibalize spell pretty overpowered. I play a shaman, so I am not just picking on a class because i saw them cannibalizing. As a solo'ing shaman, I chain cast cannibalize while either my pet tanks or the mob is rooted. Add ancient:slumber or torpor spell along with the cannibalizing during combat and a shaman can be very close to full mana by the time his target dies. That seems counteractive to these new changes. No other class can regen mana during combat as well as they could before, but for a shaman this change doesnt even really matter. With these mana regen changes, a shaman will be able solo mobs that are now too hard for other classes because they can no longer regen mana while the mob is rooted. The same goes for a shaman in a group or duo, while the other healers or casters will be oom in long fights, a shaman can keep his mana going for an even longer time than he could previous to these changes.

bigdros said:
The same goes for a shaman in a group or duo, while the other healers or casters will be oom in long fights, a shaman can keep his mana going for an even longer time than he could previous to these changes.
Shaman's have always been able to sustain heals for a longer period of time, with a tradeoff of smaller heals (with respect to druids and clerics, the only other real healers).

i know shaman have always been able to sustain mana thru fights. My point is that shamans can still do that, and the other classes cant even sit and med anymore, which makes shamans even more effective.

bigdros said:
i know shaman have always been able to sustain mana thru fights. My point is that shamans can still do that, and the other classes cant even sit and med anymore, which makes shamans even more effective.

They have always been effective and i dont see how this improves them any it just effects them the least.

Well today i went to freeport and... It's bad... Our feign death is now almost completely revamped so that we can't feign death during fights while our pet kills or we get assistance penalty. And also mobs do not lose aggro after returning to their respective spawn points. This means we get more downtime which i don't really understand considering that the point of the patch was to reduce downtime? I dunno if this is just a bug or something but... Man.. I just lost freeport...

Does it only seem to me and my boyfriend that the augmented searfire stays augmented for really long time after you log?

Maimai said:
Elasia said:
Is not being able to invite during combat a bug or a new feature?

Ouch that'd make raiding almost unbearable :(

Yeah its really annoying... if its a feature i dont see what purpose it has another than to annoy raiding or maybe stop group xping from inviting for whatever reason. Its not like you lose out on that much xp and if someone really needed a heal all they have to do is setup a spam key.

I played last night, with my Cleric and a somewhat newly created (~lvl 10) rogue.

The Cleric loves you guys.

Some combat wierdness I noticed:

When I would enter combat with the Rogue, about a round into it, I would get the message "You are no longer in combat" but this seemed to have no effect. After combat ended, I'd get something like "You enter combat." I think those two are just reversed as there was no real effect...

And, whether it's always been like this, I cannot speak to, and whether it's supposed to be like this, or is allowed, I don't know... I know I've heard of anti-pl code being in SoD. Whatever it is, it doesn't seem to be checking (at least when using a lvl 21 to heal a level 6-10 toon) for heals during combat. If this is against the rules and I'm just not supposed to do it, I won't anymore... but I figured I would see an assistance penalty at least. I basically had my cleric there to rez my rogue when I did something stupid, but found that even healing him 2-3 times to full during a combat did not detract from his exp. I know we're not supposed to have a level 65 baby-sitting brand new toons for obvious reasons, but I wondered if the same applied to much lower level characters with much less of a gap between them.

Regardless, I'll stop if I'm not supposed to be doing that, but the whole point is that I expected to get some sort of penalty the first time I last-second-saved the Rogue and I felt like not going into debt was worth losing most of the exp from the mob... but alas, no penalty.

Those are really the only two things I noticed last night. Overall, I like the changes, but I've not been able to be in a real group since the changes went in so the only testing I did was with a non-grouped Cleric regenning after buffs/summoning food/water.

The invite thing is to prevent abuse by having characters disband and scurry away to a corner to get full mana regen mid combat. I'm not sure why it would make raids unbearable, explain?

Wiz said:
The invite thing is to prevent abuse by having characters disband and scurry away to a corner to get full mana regen mid combat. I'm not sure why it would make raids unbearable, explain?

Because of people coming back from Link Deaths, people coming back from camping to clear the Packet Loss bug, and people arriving late to the raid while chain-pulling through the zone (or in the middle of a large pull) to get to the raid target.

Overall, I'm very happy with the new system, with one exception. Could it be made so that mezed mobs don't count as "in combat"? When a pull goes bad and more mobs than expected show up, the healer can use a LOT of mana keeping everyone alive until things get under control. Once things are under control, we can space things out to let the healer regain enough mana for each mob. This is always very exciting, and a lot of fun. Without meditate, this is no longer a reasonable option, and the only thing we can do is succor out/run away, which is no fun. I think you mentioned that rezing would be made available when all mobs were mezed, could meditate be made the same? I don't think most raid targets can (or should be able to) be mezed, so it wouldn't imbalance raid encounters.

Wiz said:

Wouldnt just being agrod stop it? I mean if you heal/dmg you take a faction hit, so why couldnt the same governer also do that aswell instead of the invite/disband. And if someone does that they obviously arent trying to xp, so what if people faught a mob without being grouped at all? Or someone goes ld/camps out? I know you said they "remember" the person so I'd think there would be a better option for stopping what your trying to get at.

As far as maimai's unbearable comment... try going ld at the start of a 5+ min fight and come back a minute later unable to be grouped, if your a healer class you wont be able to see HP bars nor group chat, for other classes you wont be able to see group chat aswell nor say anything important into it that might need to be done. and yes the infamous PL bug / random "you have been disconnected" does this alot forcing people to camp/relog mid fight... now if you fixed the PL bug then it probly wouldnt be so bad but getting PL bug and this together is just not a good idea.

Wiz said:
Simple fix. I'll make it so you don't drop from a group if you LD.

Will that also include camping out? Because half the time you have to camp the PL bug off if you want to log back in without waiting even longer if you crash the client and LD it off.

Elasia said:
Wiz said:
Simple fix. I'll make it so you don't drop from a group if you LD.

Will that also include camping out? Because half the time you have to camp the PL bug off if you want to log back in without waiting even longer if you crash the client and LD it off.

Just /q

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom