Necs/Mages

BlackDawn

Dalayan Beginner
Oppinions on either, which one more enjoyable and better at high end game. ect ect... pretty vague i know but im leaving it up to discuss w.e

As a mage in the 40's, I find that a mage with the earth pet can solo two blue mobs at the same time quite well with damage shield, pet haste & nuking. 50% of the mana I do use goes to healing the pet while the other 50% goes to nuking.

For some odd reason, necros I group with seem to draw a lot more aggro than I do. Fire pet rules against solo mobs, unless I want it to keep it from fleeing. <3

Necro mana regen also seems much faster than my mage.

I have a necro, and I am able to solo two blues as well. 26, so I dont know about endgame playing. What I do know is that it is easy to get agro from mobs, but only if you dont give your pet time to hit the mob.

I almost never die (unless trained :censored: ) and if I do get more mobs then I can handle, I have a mez, feign death, and snares. I think that necro's are one of the best soloing classes, but group wise not extremely important, but I am able to help. What is great is the necro's versatility. So far I love playing with the necro <3 hope this helps

Necros are very versatile at the high end, I find. I don't have relic pet yet, but as of right now, I'm able to solo most blues. Depends really. I'm a certified mana battery though.

Re

I have played a necro to 40 and a mage to 30 at the current point in time. Plus played a necro to 65 and mage to 53 on live. (yes i know its different)

Basically:

Necromancer
-----------------
Very good soloer
Insane mana regen
Best DoT damage in the game
Feign Death
Can Feed Mana or Health to others
Lifetaps (DoTs and DD for heals)
Pets (Heals, Haste)
Snare DoTs
Undead based spells (slow, mez, root, DD, etc)
DDs are poison based

Magician
-----------------
Good soloer
Mana regen based on items
Summons Items (Food, Drink, Weapons, Bags, etc)
Gives Mana thru Mod Rods
No Self Heal besides bandages
4 Pet choices (all with different abilities)
Pet Spells (Haste, Heal, SoW)
Fire and Magic Based Nukes
Elemental Based Spells (DDs)
Debuff line of spells (Malise)
Damage Shield spells

Solo comparison
-------------------
Necro can FD in trouble
Necro better kiter since it has snare
Mage can keep mobs from running easier with Earth Pet
Mage Pets can do spell damage, stun, or root (can be better for casters with stun)
Necro can use stacked DoTs to keep aggro off the pet
Mage has better DDs (mana ratio wise (i think))

Honestly, I would probably call this a toss up. Big thing to turn me towards a necro would be crazy mana regen, but I believe that mages solo better indoors. Obviously necros have a way out with FD though if the pet dies.

Group comparison (who to choose)
-------------------------------------------
Mage offers DPS mainly. Mage can also provide summoned items like Mod Rods or FT item in later levels. Mages also have a debuff line of spells (Malise) and damage shield line of spells.

Necro offers DPS also, but a lot of their DPS comes from DoTs. Stacking DoTs in a group will bring aggro to the necro. Necros can pass mana to others, but the ratio of mana taken vs given isn't wonderful.

Overall I believe that Necros are the master of DoT damage, but in a group stacking dots and stealing aggro might not be the best thing. However they do regen mana faster, so I dunno about their DD dmg/mana ratio. In a group its pretty much a toss up again, but if you want pure DPS, with debuffs and DS...then go mage. If you want pure DPS with mana feeds and possible aggro stealing...go necro. Honestly I think the necro will outdamage the mage if he is allowed to stack dots and steal aggro (never tested this btw).

high end in groups the necro's dps lacks. a necro in an effective fast group, is usually the CC'er/low support/Puller class, a good CC'er with our 62 mez in combination with root and FD to lose agro. my necro can split pretty much any normal xp grind mob with mez/FD pulling. unless you have caress of sivyana (649 per tick for 4 ticks or 24 secondss), most mobs die right at the end of funeral pyre (429 damage per tick for 6 ticks or 36 seconds) or load up zafeers theft of vitae to group heal (good necro/shammy who canni's or those who got hit besides main, 159 damage a tick on mob, 159hp per tick heal to each party memeber) so its mostly never effective to hard dot unless your solo'ing or need a mob dead fast. our DD damage isnt that bad, with cryotoxin or our ancient lifetap, and full focus i can do 1100ish (though the lifetap only does 950ish damage during the day). necro's have a major advantage with their lifetaps and FD in survivability, and can also keep groups going with their "expensive" rez in case the cleric bit the big one (since a lot of groups tend to disband if group wipes) now, if you want to be lazy, i would so go with a necro. on raids most necro's just become mana batteries which one or two quick macro's easily bot the necro and the only real important thing you do is DMF when its needed. mages are basically the summon bitch/dps support. lastly, necro's have less downtime than the rest of the casters due to lich and the ability to prevent the pet from taking any damage during fights with hard snare kiting.

if you plan on grouping heavily with your friends or such, and have an enchanter avaliable or feel your pet is good enough to offtank an xp mob, i would say play a mage, if you want to become the makeshift CC'er some DPS and great solo ability when you dont have a group, i would say go with necro

Considering a necro can keep a constant 125 (Bane of Althuna + L59 pet) - 160 (Caress of Sivyana + L63 pet) DPS with one spell on each mob, I never understood the argument of necros lacking DPS.

I play a mage at 65 and mages are very usefull in both groups and raids on raids they can COH- call of the hero they can summon peridots for the clerics (which is used ALOT) in groups you are consistant dps with your relic pet, which is a combination of the all 4 pets. i think it is 100dps or?

also i belive that for dps in groups mages are the best, not that necro dps arent good but the mobs die to fast for the dots to be really effective.

Mages also get a hp regen/armor buff through the phantasmal line. I'll regen 25% to 35% of my life bar back in the duration of battling one mob while standing just using the lowest phantasmal alone. I don't think healing is a big issue unless I lose pet.

Feign death on the other hand is pretty big. Gate takes 5 seconds to cast while feign death may take a second and a half. :eek:

also i belive that for dps in groups mages are the best, not that necro dps arent good but the mobs die to fast for the dots to be really effective.

Arrgh stop with this stupid myth PLEASE. Necros can stack up > 300 dps in DoTs that last 6 ticks or less easily.

Yes, mages are really good DPS, they are better DPS than necros and should be, but all this "dots r 2 slow rofl" annoys the bejeezus out of me.

When I began here, I knew I wanted to play a pet class. I chose mage over necro because ... drumroll please ... I didn't have my velious files at the time! And all necros started in thurgadin. If I could do it all over, I'd choose necro because of the versatility. Mages are still a good dps class though, they just lack the real versatility of a necro.

they can summon peridots for the clerics (which is used ALOT)

Actually the "in" thing today seems to be...summoned food for maxed AAed and max stat warriors.
The things you'll do for 15 hps :(

Wiz said:

Arrgh stop with this stupid myth PLEASE. Necros can stack up > 300 dps in DoTs that last 6 ticks or less easily.

Yes, mages are really good DPS, they are better DPS than necros and should be, but all this "dots r 2 slow rofl" annoys the bejeezus out of me.

i didnt mean that necros dps was lame. it was only an argument of why I (my opinion which is also stated in the "i also belive")
thought that mages are better dps than necros, but the fact is some dots are slow and therefor necros cant put in FULL Dps in a group with fast kills, but should be able too on raid encounters.

well thanks for all the input guys. It really helps. Now i just got to finalize if i wanna play my nec still (stila lowbie) or make a mage haha. =p

some of our dots are yes, slow, but those dots i believe are meant for long fights/solo (the disease line, the snare line, and the hp leech line). i am happy with caress of sivyana and funeral pyre for more dps in groups. but while those are great dps spells, its really only effective for a necro to toss on one of those two spells because the mob will die before the dots run out, or the necro will run oom (even with arch lich on) from mobs dying to fast and more coming in from blowing 900+ mana a mob from those two dots.

mages and wizards both get nice bonuses with their improved damage items and critical blasts. while i am lucky and have affliction efficency IV, i wish there were extended affliction items or AA's to boost necro damage like critical dot'ting.

this post needs to be in the wiki.

especially kith's comparison post. Wiz's comments also dispel common misconceptions and should be put in as well.

thanks for posting!

-trasc

Re: Re

Kithliss said:
Overall I believe that Necros are the master of DoT damage, but in a group stacking dots and stealing aggro might not be the best thing. However they do regen mana faster, so I dunno about their DD dmg/mana ratio. In a group its pretty much a toss up again, but if you want pure DPS, with debuffs and DS...then go mage. If you want pure DPS with mana feeds and possible aggro stealing...go necro. Honestly I think the necro will outdamage the mage if he is allowed to stack dots and steal aggro (never tested this btw).

Forgive me if this portion of Kithlisshas post been addressed in latter posts to this thread. When in group, move up to said mob stack dots and feign death, then pop up(depending on situation) if the mobs are some monsterous quad attack beast, cast self rune(e.g. diamondskin.) You can wait for MA to be on top of the hate list and once the mob is just under 60% for high aggro DoTs. Obviously some dots don't create as large an aggro, i.e. dot / debuffs have horrendous aggro. (see lowbie spell: heart flutter)
I'm not trying to be negative, just offering my opinion. Necro's also get screaming terror for crowd control, albeit not anywhere near what chanters get. Necro's can reverse heal their pets via pact line of spells.
As far as mages go, they're a solid class IMO and since I haven't played high-end Magician, I really can't provide much insight.

well in case anyone has been wondering how i desided to go... i now have a 21 mage... been enjoying him much more than i did my necro (he is only 15). i see mage as being a more fun class, jus for my personal preference,

but yes i agree, this should definitely go in the wiki =)

There usually is no need to do many debuffs on XP mobs. Unless it's slow or something like that, or if your fighting some highly resistant mobs. Necros have alot of DoT lines to choose from, so resists I hope aren't usually a problem. Then you can use your fastest, highest damage DoT, and you usually don't take agro. (I'm speaking for a group with a decent tank)

Back
Top Bottom