New PC, Windows 10, SOD runs like poop

xfx

Dalayan Beginner
hi I use to play sod on a very old and shitty pc but it ran sod well, I recently bought a pc brand new from the store and installed sod and to my surprise I get like 5-10 frames per second. I'm guessing its because of Windows 10 but I don't understand, the pc seems more than enough than the minimum system requirements listed on the wiki. Is there anyone out there who can help me please?

also, new pc's look all shiny, but it doesn't mean that they couldn't benefit from a video game driver update, as well as a sound card update.

check out your manufacturer's site for updates drivers, I'd start with chipset, video, and audio drivers for sure.

many OS's will suffer from drivers issues at first. most of the worst ones should be worked out. but meh, others linger as well.

Last edited:
ok I did the first thing you said and I think it helped a little but it still isn't performing as it should. I will try step 2 now thank you =)

Quite possible you're using the wrong video card too - many newer systems have 2, and getting them to play nice on older games can be frustrating.

ughh I tried updating the sound video and chipset drivers and it didn't help, I also checked to see if there were multilple video cards listed in the device manager but there was only the one .. =/
I tried the 2.5 beta and it seemed to run very smooth for the few min I was on which makes me even more confused how it cant run the current version of sod properly, something else I noticed. I have 4 gig of ram but under sod settings it says I only have 1 gig ? idk at this rate I guess I'm just going to have to wait for 2.5 to play

Last edited:
first of all i really appreciate you trying to help me, thank you.
here is a link that shouldl describe what kind of computer it is http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Black-...500GB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-10-Home/46429969

i am doing the windows swapfile thing now, i unchecked the box for "automatically manage paging file size for all drives " , for the second step, system managed size was checked so i changed it to no paging file and the custom settings they suggested

the only fix on that forum that i think applies to me is the guy who reinstalled 6 times lol. i mean i guess ill try that pretty soon

this is SO frustrating. nothing is working. i am about ready to just give up. i really like this game but it just wont work on my new computer for some reason =(

and you can probably revert your pagefile/swapfile settings back, i was just curious what they were set at.

when you select to run SOD, are you selecting to run it in compatibility mode? which mode are you selecting?

I would suggest Windows 7 if you are able.

im reinstalling the game right now, I was trying to run the game in compatibility mode as 7 and xp , but do I select the sodpatcher, eqw, or eqgame.exe? also I will install diretx 9 manualy thx but ive tried the bind affinity to processor and that didn't seem to work for me =( still trying to fix this thank you again for the suggestions, also I tried t install directx 9 but it gave me an error saying directx9 can only be setup on windows 98, me ,2000,xp or 2003

Not sure if you have tried these yet, but try loading the game w/o using eqplaynice (windows 10 shouldn't need it anyways), and if still no luck, try running it w/o eqw.

ok i reinstalled. tred to run sodpatcher in windows 7 compatibility mode, bind to affinity and its still not working ( bind to affinity 2 seems to work a tiny bit better than anything else tho ) I looked and I have direct x 12, should I still manualy try and download directx11? oh yea I tried to run the game without eqw and it gives me this error, EverQuest EQMAIN.DLL Error surface_lock: Blit failed!

sadface

I can confirm windows 10 has dx9 issues, borderlands 2 for example when things get busy I'm getting drops down to low fps 30's when on windows 7 exact same settings I was getting always above 65 fps and most often 80+ running 2880x1620

My pc at least the stuff that matters, everything dx 10 and up is running better then windows 7 did though.
i5 4670k 3.8ghz
trident x 16gb ram 2133mhz
strix 970

I am running SoD with Windows 10 right now as well, however I am having a different issue. I can only zone maybe 25% of the time. If I zone it happens in like 3 seconds, however I usually just end up getting kicked back to the server select screen.

Anyone else having this issue?

I also cannot run the game without using EQW. I get a "surface_lock: blit failed" message whenever the game loads using the normal client.

edit: Just saw the other post about TCP/UDP connections... guess i'm screwed until 2.5?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom