No class should be balanced around one AA

Boehm

Dalayan Elder
I am Velleity Darkbloom, the necromancer class leader. Though I mostly make irrelevant posts on the forums, most of you have no clue who I am because Necros are by nature closed about our class. I hope my points will be treated with respect as coming from a serious student of the class who has no intention of playing another class, nor wants to appropriate any aspect of another class. I have been meaning to make this post for over a year, but the general view of other class members is so hostile that I held my piece. I would like to thank Kiseble for his support.

No class should be balanced around one AA. Festering Curse is broken, and I will lay out why the below. I will lay out why Festering Curse is currently necessary, and how it can be made unnecessary in the future.

This is not a post to have it modified, but to have it removed and replaced by another ability if possible. I make this post with some trepidation as being a volunteer server, it is possible that a change may be made and halted half way breaking us all to pieces.

Festering Curse is;
1. The most powerful spell in the game, and irresistible. More powerful then Boss spells, Nylastra' Zara, you “... channel a spell of tremendous power.”? You can't touch this.
2. Too cheap at 9 AAs in a game about incremental increases in power. I received my biggest DPS buff at around 90 AAs. This is a terrible precedence, which I believe has encouraged balancing decisions about other classes. So that rather then being balanced in and of themselves, the class is balanced around some big thing in their development. I'm looking at you druids, mages and beastlords.
3. Far too good at lower levels, when a necromancer can make significant contributions to a long fight, afk and in zone. No class should be able to kill a named because they present.
4. A third of our DPS, but only available on every other engage. We are a break-in, “Big Moment” class, but our ability to meet that “Big Moment” only occurs every other engage. Preventing us from being “good” all the time.
5. Prevents necromancers from being balanced along the tiers.
6. Necromancers will never get anything special, because we have festering curse and what we got with Ikisith is probably accidental.
7. Devs deliberately break fights for Festering Curse, by various mechanics, because it is so powerful.

Necromancer DPS at the high end is currently comprised of three elements; the Big Three (Archaic, Caress, and Marlows) and Scitterpox, Festering Curse, and Hierophant's Breath. Without each of these elements, necromancers are not competitive. ( Should you view my dps, you should note that I use ToT ear, DoTO gloves, and Vah Back on every engage these are available. Casters should not be balanced around things they farmed either. )

Necromancer DPS at the low end comprises two elements, three fire spells, Scitterpox (if it lands.) and festering curse. Currently, the low tier necromancer is essentially dependent on the existence of festering curse to do any significant sustained dps, the cost and duration of the spells preclude it.

The issue is that Necromancers currently have the worst sustained DPS of the DPS caster classes based on our innate spells, which is why Festering Curse and also Heirophant's Breath are necessary casts. Because while their damage makes us plausible in groups, our primary spells, the Big Three, are fundamentally unsustainable because of their duration. It is simply too much mana for us to be able to do competitive DPS. Their duration is, also, too short to allow us to stack other spells to fill their lack of base DPS. We do not have a crit mechanic which makes our spells conditionally, insanely efficient, nor a pet to fill the holes. Nor do we want either.

We are not wizards, nor are we mages. Being the slowest to max dps class in the game, we do not want ultimates or a big friendly pet. Our pet is a reeking conjuration of misdirection, attracting mob attention away from the real threat, us. We want to be the best sustained dps casters in the game and considering our mechanics, deserve it. Doing this based on our ability to weave spells depending on the circumstance, not an AA crutch. We accept that there will be circumstances where our stack mechanic may make us the not an optimal class for an engage, but wish that we should be designed that what we are capable of as players should determine our outcome.

My belief is that Festering Curse can currently be removed, allowing a more rational and incremental increase of necromancer DPS through the tiers. I believe this could be achieved by the introduction of a number of changes to the game. Among these changes, the replacement of the AA itself and a few spells;

1. The change of funeral pyre of malath into an 8 tick dot at the same mana cost and same damage, This would allow it to do significant duration dps at lower leves with scitterpox if the necromancer has done the murk spell quest, and in combination with Marlow's Cremation.
2. The change of the Archaic Claws of the Chill and Caress of Sivyana to 5 dot ticks by the either a replacement AA for 15 minutes or on their own, with a 15 minute cooldown. Because of cleric mana, it is unlikely any fight will last more then 15 minutes.
3. Stop conditionally nerfing Heirophant's Breath on a zonal basis. If the dev desire is not to do so then give us more long duration dots we can use instead of festering curse, at least such that we have to choose being safe and having runic 2 on our bar or doing max dps.
4. Replacement of Festering Curse with an over-lich which requires the dedicated healing of a priest for us to be able to perform duration dps. Necromancer dps is massively linear, if you can't make the boss regen reflect it, (like rujik), I don't know what to say.

Tldr: read the whole thing. ( and the boards have completely eaten my careful nesting :/)

Anything that makes a class revolve less around 50 minute cooldowns or whatever is a good idea. I don't know the pains of a necromancer but I know the pains of losing a fight because my 35 minute cooldowns were used previously.

I agree with you overall. I think the problem could be addressed with a lot less work by just changing how FC works:

Make it grow at 75% of the current rate, but cap at 150% of where it does now. Also reduce the recast to 10 min.

Raid fights tend to get longer as you progress in tiers, and as you said FC is amazing at lower tiers, but later on in the game it doesn't add nearly as much. With a slower, but higher cap it will scale better with raid encounters.

Regardless of anything else that happens, the reuse of festering should be reduced to 10-15min. It wont be viable for exp, but its just silly that it can't be used every attempt of a raid boss engage. It feels like every other attempt the raid is gimped because nedro festering is down and they just cant really compete with other dps without it.

Revamping the class is the "better" option, but its not necessarily realistic. Making festering usable every attempt is the quick and easy fix.

He doesn't play. Also, you can go back to getting clerics buffed. or if you mean who plays him plepi is the necromancer class leader

Last edited:
fights are balanced around festering sometimes but really when we talk about necros festering is not justification for or against changes... i mean yeah it is an aspect of a class but i think what you are imagining taking place in dev channels does not actually happen.

i don't even know what prompted this thread but well now you know the truth: no one is doing the thing you said.

im pretty sure what prompted it was him going through numerous tiers of content and suffering the plights of necromancers while other dps classes slowly began to shine more and more and made necros feel bad.
supposedly some people have said that necros were op back in the day...i dont really know. but i will agree necros now are great for most groups but their raid status seems lacking based off what velliety said. perhaps in time someone will take up the charge to revamp necros to be a bit less dependant on a single aa ability for dps and more spell based.
im glad vell decided to put it out there so he'll stop talking about it in vent all the time. my violin fingers are sore!

haha sorry velleity, you know i support you on this. i think at the least, festering should be reduced to 15 min cooldown.

What if if FC retains a similar role without actually being a damage spell?

FC:
10 sec cast
0 recast
For each tic this spell is active on a target, they take an additional .5% damage from its caster up to 20% (at 4 minutes). Past that they take an extra .2% per tic, not to exceed 40% (14 minute mark, fights almost never go this long, but a cap helps prevent exploits)

Maybe add a bit to the damage/duration of current dots:
Scitterpox: change from 9 to 10 tics, and -5 to -25 resist mod.
Relic: Marlow's Cremation: change from 7 to 8 tics.
Archaic: Claws of the Chill: change from 4 to 5 tics.

As it is now, when FC stays on a target and gets maxed out, it is amazingly strong. It can account for a huge % of a necros total dps, especially on lower tier and/or longer fights. The AA I suggested sounds strong, but really would not be as powerful as old FC, hence needing some buffs to current dots. The biggest benefit would be direct scaling with the necro's gear. Additionally, no recast means that fights where the boss changes form, or otherwise drops FC would not totally gimp the necromancer. It remains ideal to keep the same target, but if that changes, the necro can simply reapply and start building a new FC. The longer recast would keep it from being spammed on easier mobs.

Some things to consider: Necros were amazing, arguable OP at lower tiers depending on the fight. They are THE 6 man INT caster through most of the game because of high utility, resist mods, and FC.

Resist mods are part of what balances necros verse mage/wizard dps. The problem here is that mages/wizards were never powerful enough to need this balance. If you parse on tier wiz/mages in any raid zone with any significant resists, meeles and necros will make them look silly. Because of this, most later tier raid zones were made such that few mobs have really high resists. Now finally mages and wizards are top tier dps, and necros are still up there, but they lost one of their advantages over the other casters.

Necro dps is really only lacking at the ultra endgame. Wizards benefit more from spell crit than any other caster, so with tomes, charms, gear, and aod all adding spell crit wizards become a top tier dps class (as we really always should be since we bring almost nothing else to the table). Mages get huge buffs with their Runic 1, Runic 2, and class tomes, all of which provide some serious buffs to their raid dps. Necros get cool utility runic spells, and cool utility tomes, but their raid dps just doesn't scale up nearly as much as all the other classes do from t10 to t13.

Its always hard to balance utility verse core role (dps). Necros can FD, they can mez, they get other neat little things that others dont, but in a raid setting, 99% of what they are going to provide is dps. Its kinda similar to the druid FC arguement. Sure they have all this cool utility which everyone else wishes they had, but they aren't performing their core role as well, so they are less raid desirable. I don't know where the correct middle ground is here.

At the very very least, necros shouldn't have to rely on that FC cooldown for their dps to be worthwhile. At the very top end, even with FC they are a bit behind with dps, and maybe that is OK since through most of the game they are a god-mode class. The FC change suggested would make necromancers scale a lot better, removing all that free dps they got at lower tiers that made them OP, but at the higher end, it would ideally add more than FC did before since they have way more mana, higher damage mods, and crit which would all get compounded by the FC bonus.

Last edited:
im pretty sure what prompted it was him going through numerous tiers of content and suffering the plights of necromancers while other dps classes slowly began to shine more and more and made necros feel bad.
supposedly some people have said that necros were op back in the day...i dont really know. but i will agree necros now are great for most groups but their raid status seems lacking based off what velliety said. perhaps in time someone will take up the charge to revamp necros to be a bit less dependant on a single aa ability for dps and more spell based.
im glad vell decided to put it out there so he'll stop talking about it in vent all the time. my violin fingers are sore!

point him at lethal strike and tell him to eat it.

PS - I really like the idea of making festering curse a real curse instead of another DoT

Aren't all int casters somewhat like this? They all have issues.

Wizards have to hope for some RNG luck as I understand, as ultimate/primal is a big thing.

Mages have to hope that the fight has aoes that won't hit pets because Runic 1 will explode in less than 20 seconds if they do. Also have to hope there isn't much moving around or you can't make much use of rains because rains don't tick on the target's location like they did in Everquest, but instead where the target was when the first tick hit.

I mean I would support reducing the reuse timer on festering at very least, it's a pretty miserable thing to have some key ability not available most of the time.

What if if FC retains a similar role without actually being a damage spell?

FC:
10 sec cast
0 recast
For each tic this spell is active on a target, they take an additional .5% damage from its caster up to 20% (at 4 minutes). Past that they take an extra .2% per tic, not to exceed 40% (14 minute mark, fights almost never go this long, but a cap helps prevent exploits)

Maybe add a bit to the damage/duration of current dots:
Scitterpox: change from 9 to 10 tics, and -5 to -25 resist mod.
Relic: Marlow's Cremation: change from [6?] to 8 tics.
Archaic: Claws of the Chill: change from 4 to 5 tics.

Something like this. But shorter cast time (3-6 sec) and a modest recast (10-15min.) to make the skill more useful instead of making it generally inconvenient in the hopes it'll keep people from overusing/abusing it.

That is a fine option. I had the low/no recast so that necros aren't totally gimped when a mob changes names mid raid encounter. I think you could still use a lower cast time and it wouldnt be OP since it doesnt actually do damage, the necro has to dump mana on targets to do damage, this just allows them to do some extra damage later in the fight

How would an irresistable and substantial mana tap over time work out? Just throwing a random idea out, but a mana tap big enough to really be noticeable and allow a necro to just go nuts dumping mana? In a group situation or solo situation it would cut down on down-time, in a raid situation it would allow them to go crazy with DPS (is mana an issue for necros? idk) It wouldn't be of any use fighting something with no mana, and may affect casting-intensive mobs by draining all their mana as a consequence.

Or (I've heard the term mana-battery thrown around and discarded, I never played real EQ so bear with me here) making it a Call of the Blessed-type ability for mana for self or party or party-members, either from a non-source or using a mob's mana as the source?

Keeping a respectable cool-down would still be appropriate obviously. I could even be barking up the wrong tree, who knows?

Not a bad idea, but if the mana-tap replaced festering it would make things worse. Tons of mobs dont have mana to tap, and it would go from being "we just wiped and FC is on cd so our necros are gimped" to "oh this mob has no mana necros are bad for this fight"

Ofc if you just made it feed the necro mana regardless of whether the target has any, this could be an option.

I also always liked the necros feeding the group mana thing, and this actually happens now in exp groups, but in raids its usually hard for the necro to get killshots, so they cant do that. A 15 min cooldown scaling paragon type ability could be very cool.

Last edited:
The idea of giving Necros a mana-tap to boost the utility side of things is a great idea. Ruining FC to do so is not. If only the class had some terrible AA that has repeatedly come under scrutiny and outright begging for a change.

unrelated link

-ee
+i

Speaking of a class with an AA feature that's awful....Lethal Strike! Now that I've made a relatively useful contribution to the necro side of life, can LS be changed to do what it currently does (assassinate Coldstone the Conjurer so you can Escape, loot, and run like hell) and guarentee a crit no matter what on your next backstab on a creature greater than lvl 54?

That sounds like a wonderful idea for another thread! In the meantime this one is already derailed enough (in part by me, the shame) with talks of mana-taps without throwing ideas for another class into the mix.

On that note, back to the OP:
1. & 2. Extending the ticks on various spells seems like a good balance for changing FC

3. Ok

4. ALL NEW AND IMPROVED Festering Curse:
X sec cast [3-6?]
X min recast [1-10?]
For each tic this spell is active on a target, they take an additional .5% damage from its caster up to 25% (at 5 minutes). This effect can only be on one target at a time and lasts until the Necromancer dies, FDs, or the target dies.

Back
Top Bottom