Proposed Monk Changes

Yeah I'm of the opinion that in a perfectly balanced endgame, monk dps would be similar to rangers and lower than rogues. But class dps at the high end is very dependent on a few certain items for each class and isn't very stable as a result of them all being changed every so often.

im for all changes that drops monks as a tank / offtank. Gives paladins more to do

There aren't many spots at all in the game that actually need a monk to pull. It's not really our role as much as it was on live. This hurts when we dps if we have to box or when we tank, which I guess is being nerfed as kind of the point? I rarely get to play my monk if I'm not duoing or raiding where I have to be on the shaman. The combo thing sounds cool, but some of us will never use it. All I really see affecting me is the loss of the avoidance 95% of the time and a gain the 5% of the time I'm pulling. Appreciate the thought to help the class, but honestly not excited. I guess I'll see when I mess with it, but it all just kinda seems like a new toy with a decent sized cost. Oh, and now we don't have an excuse not to loot....

Why would you never use the combo system? Instead of hitting Flying Kick every few seconds, you'll rotate between a few different skills and gain the various buffs/debuffs or whatever.

And are you really trying to argue that being able to loot things is a bad thing?

The loot thing was kind of a joke, but I did enjoy never having to main loot in groups. Again though, depending on how heal-intensive the fight is I could hit the window swap button and hit flying kick and swap back to the shaman or whatever else I have to box. I really don't see being able to effectively hit combinations of buttons, I assume time-staggered, and being able to hold up my duties as a healer/slower/whatever else at the same time. I guess this is also designed to discourage boxing maybe, but that kinda doesn't work until (how ya like the optimistic wording? heh) the server population recovers. As is, this just makes my monk lose 10% avoidance when I duo, take more damage due to ripostes, phantom strikes, etc. while I'm healing. etc., while I assume doing hopefully at least the same dps as before. It will be cool when I manage to find a group on just my monk, or if I ever pull, but that's just not a large chunk of the pie chart these days.

I'm sure the combos will be macro-able, or if not, fairly keep-up-able through tabbing for most boxers.

As for claiming monk-immunity to looting, ask Susvain how that worked out =D

How does avoidance work with a mob behind you? I could have sworn some of it didnt work from behind.

How does avoidance work with a mob behind you? I could have sworn some of it didnt work from behind.

Unless you're /s 6 or whatever. I didn't even think of that. That makes it almost exclusively for attack-off ramp, phantom strike, etc.?

Unless you're /s 6 or whatever. I didn't even think of that. That makes it almost exclusively for attack-off ramp, phantom strike, etc.?

yeah i have no idea what it would be used for.

attack off rampage tanking sounds so boring i cant even begin to tell you and any situation where you are being phantom struck everyone else is as well, so group heals are going off, may as well attack and help kill the thing hurting everyone.

I am really at a lose as to where attack off avoidance will be at all useful.

Riposte is the only form of avoidance that doesn't work against stuff behind you afaik.

Bonus avoidance with attack off would help with pulling but I believe it's multiplicative so with 20% bonus you actually only avoid a couple percent more swings overall. Not to mention that it's rarely melee attacks that kill monk pullers.

Last edited:
You seem to have incorrectly assumed that this will have some usefulness. I think its supposed to be for flavor.

Losing something that is useful and having the blow softened by a mechanic that has no practical use and is just flavor would make me really, really sad.

Im expecting to be disapointed, but hoping otherwise. How fast could a combo unlock a buff or deal bonus dmg? 6s per button refresh so say 3 move combo 18s best case you get some benefit, so on trash that dies in under a minute yer averaging in 18s of stanard shitty dps with whatever boosted dps comes after. I dont see how it can possibly close the gap between mnk/rng. I do 500-600 dps in raids usually. Best ever was 930. Our best ranger (who i outgeared /tomed/charmed for these parses) does 1-1.2k with a best ive parsed of 1.6k. So unless this new combo triples dps after 18s no way it can close the gap on trash but then if it did it would be too much for bosses. So im expecting something shitty that maybe adds 20% dps but only after some slow wind up period.

For tanking having to wind up 3 or so moves in susession will be really crappy. Usually u need the tanking help at the start of the fight not 20s into it.(i miss stonestance)

Last edited:
With respect to the attack off meditative calm. I would prefer a message yes. Which i think may have been the only part of tho op's post he wanted commented on, hehe.

While neat and flavory it doesnt sound very useful as most stuff where i raid now ramp is aggro based instead of engage order based so turning atk off to ramp tank will just cause the mnk to fall off ramp. But hey boosted avoidance with atk off is better than just losing our avoid bonus. Personally id rather keep the weight limit unnerf bags leave the avoidance bonus as is and just add the combo thingy but i spose thats off the table.

Back
Top Bottom