School District Today, Violent Kids

Xardon said:
But what can a Public School District do to *try* to help make things better? I agree with everyone who said the parents have to help, but in this case, the public is blaming the school district. The district is taking a TON of heat because they district cannot say "Parents if you only did your job we wouldn't be in this mess" Of course the district realizes most of the problems stem from the family life, but they cannot change that. Is there *anything* at all, anyone could think of that the district could *try* to do to help make things better? There must be some way to help encourage saftey in schools, get the kids motivated, and get the parents involved in the school "community" (Which right now is pretty non-existent)
Like it or not, it starts with removing the monkey wrenches from the machine. Get the criminal element out of there, as well as anything else that creates nothing but fear and disrespect or otherwise hampers the educational process.

Aneas said:
Like it or not, it starts with removing the monkey wrenches from the machine. Get the criminal element out of there, as well as anything else that creates nothing but fear and disrespect or otherwise hampers the educational process.

By that you mean harsher expulsion/suspension penalties, right?

Allielyn said:
Aneas said:

By that you mean harsher expulsion/suspension penalties, right?
You betcha. Sorry, the metaphor made sense in my head. :p

Was just making sure you weren't referring to the teachers that happen to have past criminal records or something. (Theoretically they don't need to be removed, because they aren't *supposed* to be there to start with . . but that's another story.)

Easy to blame it on kids, while a lot of parents lets them rot in front of the TV. I don't believe in corporal punishment, but when parents say that they have no clue what their kid is doing or thinking, well, I get really mad. You decided to have a kid because?

Case in question, when some teen goes bonkers and shoots somebody and then they find out he has Nazi posters and crap in his bedroom.

"What? my kid? He was a sweetheart, what about the racist books and weapons. A hate website? Don't all teenagers go through a rebel phase? He's just a kid."

...Yeah right!

No matter what your personal values are you should at least make an effort to communicate with your child and be informed on what's going on.

EDIT: I spel gud

Sanyia said:
Easy to blame it on kids, while a lot of parents lets them rot in front of the TV. I don't believe in corporal punishment, but when parents say that they have no clue what their kid is doing or thinking, well, I get really mad. You decided to have a kid because?

Case in question, when some teen goes bonkers and shoots somebody and then they find out he has Nazi posters and crap in his bedroom.

"What? my kid? He was a sweetheart, what about the racist books and weapons. A hate website? Don't all teenagers go through a rebel phase? He's just a kid."

...Yeah right!

No matter what your personal values are you should at least make an effort to communicate with your child and be informed on what's going on.

EDIT: I spel gud

I have a confederate flag in my room and I used to run a hate website, plus I have bullet cases lying all around. That doesn't make me a bad person. I'm 18 now, but my parents never interfered much in what I did and I figured most stuff out on my own without turning into a gung ho psycho in a trenchcoat. People seem to be under the impression that everyone who can't vote is a retard. Kids are moldable, sure, but the impression seems to be that kids couldn't form an independent thought if they were paid to do it. That's obviously idiotic. What has happened is a change in society, and it's not as easy as to blame it on the [parents/kids] and say they carry the fault. People in general are becoming more abrasive and likely to give you a piece of their mind, and for some people both grown up and not, a piece of their mind involves violence or threats. The youth in general tend to represent the extremes in our society, so you see it a lot more in them, but most people actually mellow out long before they reach 25. Being fucked up is just part of being a kid today, it doesn't harm you for life and you'll get over it.

zodium said:
I have a confederate flag in my room and I used to run a hate website, plus I have bullet cases lying all around. That doesn't make me a bad person. I'm 18 now, but my parents never interfered much in what I did and I figured most stuff out on my own without turning into a gung ho psycho in a trenchcoat.

The vast majority do, but some don't.

zodium said:
People seem to be under the impression that everyone who can't vote is a retard. Kids are moldable, sure, but the impression seems to be that kids couldn't form an independent thought if they were paid to do it. That's obviously idiotic.

The problem is that kid DO form independent thoughs. As with everything else, that results in a vast range of thoughts. And it's the parent/society's job to help mold kids' persepctives which of those thoughts are appropriate to act upon, and which aren't. Most kids will figure that out on their own. Most parents instill the right perspective to help their kids figure it out. It's when you have a kid who won't figure it out in time, combine with parents who don't do their part to help, that you end up with a problem.

zodium said:
but most people actually mellow out long before they reach 25. Being fucked up is just part of being a kid today, it doesn't harm you for life and you'll get over it.

Not if you end up shooting a bunch of other kids, teachers, and yourself. Nobody involved in that ever gets over it. Like you said, most people mellow out, but some don't. Most people aren't the problem; it's the extremes.

zodium said:
People seem to be under the impression that everyone who can't vote is a retard.

Uh... I think people who CAN vote are retarded ... Bush got re-elected afterall ...

The only reason I do not butcher the people who piss me off and leave their bleeding corpses in the street is... I do not want to go to jail.
People know this, and therefore, feel it is perfectly ok to keep pissing me off.

The state has created a situation in which parents are legally unable to produce the same level of fear in their children.
Therefore, the children have no reason to obey the parent.

The state has created a situation in which school systems are legally unable to produce any level of fear in the students.
Therefore, the children have no reason to obey the system.

Some children have no fear in any case. These are known as pyschopaths and can be dealt with in only one way. The state has made this method legally impossible, so continued efforts of failure remain to "Reform" these people.

The state has created the problem. It is the state's problem. You cannot blame the parents, you cannot blame the schools. The state must solve the problem. You vote for the people in the state. You keep voting for the liberals. YOU are the problem.

Man, liberals piss me off.

moghedancarns said:
The only reason I do not butcher the people who piss me off and leave their bleeding corpses in the street is... I do not want to go to jail.
Please tell my my sarcasm detector is just broken or something. :eek:

Hmm...I think this problem is directly connected to the parents.

In germany we have the same problems but it don't happen that often. I just finished school 8 month' ago, I've seen pretty much everything on school except murder.
But and that is importatn, at any time something happened nobody blamed the kid/youth but the parents. Since some of them were minor law got the parents because they didn't look over their children properly.
At the schools I've been at (have been plenty since I moved a round a lot) noone did a crime twice. And that is not because they beat up the kids but they got the parents to pay for them or be punished.

If you go back and hurt the parents for the stuff their children do they will maybe want to educate their children in return since most can't stand that for a longer time.

Or, more likely, people will have even fewer children than before, thus worsening the problem of very low birthrates in both the US and Europe. Europe's population is actively declining, while the US is still increasing thanks only to massive immigration. This will especially be true among the more capable members of society who don't want the hassle as it is, and the ones who end up having children will be gun-toting idiots from some backwards state named Cletus.

I dunno but i do now that my classmates and i do infact swear... However the teachers have complete controll over us and we do learn... you did mention that there isnt such thing as detention... also wrong instead we have ISS (in school suspention), Detention, after school detention, Out of school suspentions etc. One of my friends got ticked one day at a teacher and called him a ass hole but this wasnt left unpunished he was sent to ISS shortly after. He was talked to by some teachers to fix his anger probs and he rarely says anything to any1 that may or may not affend them. If you bring a weapon of any sort to school you will be suspended for i belive 90 days. So i suppose you situation is not a lost cause.

The problem with school now is simply the fact they have a hands off policy. My son has aspergers syndrom and has a very violent temper in school. The problem is it doesnt deal with Aspergers it deals with his manipulating the system and trying to figure out what he can do and get away with.

His class is scared of him and they have to evaculate the whole freaking class if he starts to act out and the teachers and staff cannot do a single thing to him. I say now days school has just gotten a little to laxed worried about law suits. What happend to the child being put in a corner or told to be quiet instead of disrupting the class.

Its gotta be frusterating that a teacher cannot do anything to the kids / students. That knife thing I read. Heck if the teacher tried to do anything and said sit your A ** down there woulda been a lawsuit from their parents because of the way the teacher acted.

I agree and this is comming from a student. if a kid knew that he would get the shit beat out of him if he were bad we would be ALOT less tempted to do it. where as now we can put a knife to some guys heart tell em to f*** off and get away with it. And the teachers will b like na i dont wanna go to court its not worth it. And even if they did ingore it they still be in trouble the parents will now complain "Why didnt you help him" your still screwed.Either way your going to go to court.

moghedancarns said:
People know this, and therefore, feel it is perfectly ok to keep pissing me off.

The state has created a situation in which parents are legally unable to produce the same level of fear in their children.
Therefore, the children have no reason to obey the parent.

The state has created a situation in which school systems are legally unable to produce any level of fear in the students.
Therefore, the children have no reason to obey the system.

Some children have no fear in any case. These are known as pyschopaths and can be dealt with in only one way. The state has made this method legally impossible, so continued efforts of failure remain to "Reform" these people.

The state has created the problem. It is the state's problem. You cannot blame the parents, you cannot blame the schools. The state must solve the problem. You vote for the people in the state. You keep voting for the liberals. YOU are the problem.

Man, liberals piss me off.

No offense, but teaching people to think for themself is more likely to make them reasonable adults than teaching them to fear. Hate and prejudice are rooted in fear. Paranoia is rooted in fear. Teach kids respect, yes, but fear serves no valuable educational purpose.

Obedience through fear.. that thought makes me shudder, there was this kid at my school when I was in second grade, his dad would beat him with the belt and yell at him for minimal infractions. The kid told me that he hated his dad and he wanted to see him dead. Yes he was afraid, yes he would obey his dad, yes he hated his guts.

I don't hate conservatives, in fact I am dating one. Can't say I like what they did to the country in the last few years, tho.

i'm all for bringing corporal punishment back. i got whacked when i got out of line and i'm a better person for it. getting hit taught me one thing: being stupid = pain. it also taught me how to take down a grown man when he got out of line :p . the way i see it is that we've been developing our sense of pain for millions of years, so why not use it for something that could be beneficial? just my 2 cents

My advice? Don't bother preaching to other parents on how to raise their children, your words will fall on deaf ears.

Raise your own kids right, teach them about the dangers of the world, appreciate your children everyday and give them the support they need, when they need it. That's all that is expected of you, and that's all you can do.

Basically all this leads me to believe is that the institution of schooling should be abolished. We didn't argue about how wrong or bad violent teens were when it was perfectly reasonable to kill someone because they were in your territory.

Back
Top Bottom