server costs

How about: The no-bs Buff bot: For $25 a month, you can hail XYZ-NPC and instantly get fully buffed!

This is pretty damn controversial, but seems like a great way to generate funds.

"This zone is brought to you buy X" lol

Would anyone be brave enough to host Athica? i bet that would take a lot of strain off the server.

My partner was talking about that very thing the other day. Hosting a zone for SoD, if they would allow such a thing or concider it. That would be cool, to host a zone or two. Or maybe host a custom zone. Again, I don't know if they would concider it, but if anyone has any information on it, feel free to send pm or make a thread or something with the information.

IF someone were to be allowed to help host zones and things, I wonder how it would work for the GM's. If they would still be a GM in the off-hosted zone. Since technically it would be a different server.

If they supplied their own hardware they could get rackspace/bandwidth for just a few hundred a month. The real cost is when you pay for managed systems.

Also as far as distributed zone servers, that is kind of how EQ live works. Each physical server only ran a few zones. High pop zones had a dedicated machine. They all run (ran?) on Windows NT 4. These days they may have consolidated, but most likely with server merges they just keep using the old systems and dedicating more complex/populous zones to their own machines.

If they supplied their own hardware they could get rackspace/bandwidth for just a few hundred a month. The real cost is when you pay for managed systems.

Also as far as distributed zone servers, that is kind of how EQ live works. Each physical server only ran a few zones. High pop zones had a dedicated machine. They all run (ran?) on Windows NT 4. These days they may have consolidated, but most likely with server merges they just keep using the old systems and dedicating more complex/populous zones to their own machines.

Well, I don't know what kind of set up SoD has. But my partner bought some servers, from ebay I think. So we are experimenting with running the emulator. Honestly, the biggest cost I have seen is the electricity to run a server. We have a decent bandwidth so we are not going to pay for hosting. It is actually much cheaper to buy a server off ebay for 100 bucks and dump another couple hundred into it. Then just run a server out of your house.

Not everyone will like this option, but again, it's actually cheaper than paying for hosting. The downside is, that if you are not paying for hosting you have to do your own tech support and all that. In my case, I am skilled so I can do maintenance and support and whatever is needed and I don't have to pay for it. Unfortunately, many people who might want to host a game are clueless in the area of server management and hardware and etc. So their option is to pay for a host who can resolve those issues for them.

How many players you want to be able to have will also determine your setup and can add to costs. SoD has a pretty decent player base, so I am sure they have several(2 or more) servers to help direct traffic. Again, I have no idea what their setup is, this is only an assumption. For all I know this whole game could be on a single server.

cool

this was informative. I knew it was expensive. I assumed one of the GM,s just had it at their work on a colo. After reading you guys pay for hosting I did the platinum. I agree with one of the posters above. If you are enjoying yourself here you should kick in some duckets.

How about: The no-bs Buff bot: For $25 a month, you can hail XYZ-NPC and instantly get fully buffed!

This is pretty damn controversial, but seems like a great way to generate funds.

if you are willing to pay 25 for some silly buffs you should be willing to pay 25 to play the game. 25 = plat membership

Hmm wonder what kind of internet you have that you can run the server out of your house Jokie_smurf? Or it's just for a handful of people? I've seen people run games out of their home and either have insane amounts of lag and/or crash after crash when too many people were trying to access..too many being like... 20 people lol

I rented a dedicated box for about 200 a month, and set up a linux based game server. It was more than enough to hold a couple hundred players, but that money adds up if no one makes donations. And yes, it is a ton of work making fixes, doing back ups, and finding good people to help manage things in game.

If your GM's would discuss a problem or questing they have instead of just booting your from the game or jailing you. You might find people would donate a tad more. I had my name taken away "CHINGASOS." I was told by a GM that "anyone who has worked in a restaurant knows that means FUCK." So as my skills have not required me to do that type of work I just googled the term and the GM was wrong. So he took me out of jail and said you cant have a name like Punchy... NO SHIT.

My name is slang. It was something your GrandMother told you as kid if you were mexican. Chingasos are going to fly cabrón. Any Mexican knows this and GM Slaar. YOU ARE INCORRECT AND NOT SMARTER THAN A 5th GRADER...

Actually the GM was partly right in that situation. chinga/chingas would be the slang he was referring to. It just so happens that chinga+different endings are used as various slang terms in Mexico for tons of things. Honestly you shouldn't name your character after common slang word that can mean any number of words ranging from tame to completely inappropriate.

It's not the Gm's job to say oh in "insert language","word"="bad word" but "word+random letters"= "tame word". you don't see people named Shitake or Crapple or guilds named Pen Island Lovers for a reason

Actually the GM was partly right in that situation. chinga/chingas would be the slang he was referring to. It just so happens that chinga+different endings are used as various slang terms in Mexico for tons of things. Honestly you shouldn't name your character after common slang word that can mean any number of words ranging from tame to completely inappropriate.

It's not the Gm's job to say oh in "insert language","word"="bad word" but "word+random letters"= "tame word". you don't see people named Shitake or Crapple or guilds named Pen Island Lovers for a reason

Right but Chinga does not mean bad word..... Just because in America Fag is a bad word.. In UK its a smoke. I mean really you could pick apart any word in the world and if Money is an issue work it out with your players don't dictate.

chinga * -noun feminine
(CAm)
1. (=colilla) fag end, cigar stub
2. (=posos) dregs plural
3. (CAm, Caribe)
(=pequeña cantidad) drop, small amount
· una chinga de agua
· a drop of water
4. (Caribe)
(=borrachera) drunkenness
5. (Méx) *
(=paliza) beating-up

Sorry for the random post but this was the best place to bring this up since its a money/management issue. I know I wont get my name back but I'm not the only one having an issue like this.

This is way off-topic for this post, but I should mention 2 things:

(1) If you want to appeal your name nerf, e-mail me at [email protected] -- That's where appeals go. If you have a problem with how a staff member treated you, you should send me an e-mail for that, too, so I'd just put it in the same e-mail. Your complaints will get the proper consideration in that way.

(2) I spent 2 semesters of college studying Spanish in Mexico, and I know what "chinga" meant there.

I dont check forums as much as i should ill admit and had never seen this post
i had no idea at the cost of maintaining this server
so i kinda have an idea ive always thought that there isnt enough fame oportunities on this server (not complaining i dont have the know how on the time and effort of events etc)
but i was thinking theres many people on this server who do platinum donate sporadically or otherwise

so what if you platinum donate once and they get a small amt of fame (10-15 points?)
then if you donate for 6 months straight you get like 100-150 points?
and even maybe if you do a $100 donation you get 100 points?
were still talking 3-5 years of $25 /mo straight donating in order to get a title but i think just from all the people yearning for a title and all the people who DO donate every month and all of the people whove played this game for years and have next to no fame points it would be a cool option

and also would be a good motivator to donate
im unsure as to the poor soul already having to flag donations/fame points but if staff are putting their own money into it it could help distribute the

i was also thinking maybe there could be a lotto for donators to the sever no matter what the donation level every year and the winner could get the charm or a sex change or something

i have no idea at the diff of coding for this but i dont see why we cant go old school and trust tao or someone to write down the donators put it in a hat and pick lol

new era chats

edit: this made more sense with the spam bot posts above it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom