the state of things

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been pulled for speeding/incomplete stops 6 times and only got a ticket once. You just have to know how to deal with cops. (for me that just means getting super nervious/scared so they can feel superior and then they let me off. challenge their ego at all and they will fuck you over as hard as they can)

To the guy that made the "other server comment" Let me introduce you to EQMAC it has 1 gm and 1 dev he logs in to fix bugs, he doesn't rule with an iron fist. He does not have a ever expanding GM team that consists of those within his inner circle to whom he or she has direct influence over. Permissions are set in the game. These permissions allow players to govern themselves. I am not promoting a rule free area since i think our current dev team is inexperienced in properly launching these permission guidelines but if they are interested I can get you in contact with him hes a very nice guy. Reaching out to someone outside of the game would be a step in the right direction in how to properly govern a game. It uses the same POP files that we do. I'm sure the current code has been passed along so much its difficult to pick up where one person left off I can understand that. But back to the main point.
When we were GM's not guides on live we had 1 golden rule to follow as i have explained previously and following this rule and every decision we made based around this ethic made the game fun eventually that freedom was taken away because one of our own betrayed that for his own advantage. We later found it he was picked because of his inter server realionship with another Sr. so mabye the pick of a few bad apples does make everyone think "GM corruption" boo hiss. But I do like the fact that this time around the application process is a bit more balanced. Tao even explained it to me. So lets give them the benefit of the doubt that they are trying to fix things for the better. YEs we all want our friends unbanned and in time I think that will happen but if gms give into pressure this shows their weakness and we dont want weak leaders, we want passionet ones but not tyrants its a fine line. LEts just sit back and let them finish making their teams. and see were the future leads us.

Regards.
Eldarian Nefemunia

To the guy that made the "other server comment" Let me introduce you to EQMAC it has 1 gm and 1 dev he logs in to fix bugs, he doesn't rule with an iron fist. He does not have a ever expanding GM team that consists of those within his inner circle to whom he or she has direct influence over. Permissions are set in the game. These permissions allow players to govern themselves. I am not promoting a rule free area since i think our current dev team is inexperienced in properly launching these permission guidelines but if they are interested I can get you in contact with him hes a very nice guy. Reaching out to someone outside of the game would be a step in the right direction in how to properly govern a game. It uses the same POP files that we do. I'm sure the current code has been passed along so much its difficult to pick up where one person left off I can understand that. But back to the main point.
When we were GM's not guides on live we had 1 golden rule to follow as i have explained previously and following this rule and every decision we made based around this ethic made the game fun eventually that freedom was taken away because one of our own betrayed that for his own advantage. We later found it he was picked because of his inter server realionship with another Sr. so mabye the pick of a few bad apples does make everyone think "GM corruption" boo hiss. But I do like the fact that this time around the application process is a bit more balanced. Tao even explained it to me. So lets give them the benefit of the doubt that they are trying to fix things for the better. YEs we all want our friends unbanned and in time I think that will happen but if gms give into pressure this shows their weakness and we dont want weak leaders, we want passionet ones but not tyrants its a fine line. LEts just sit back and let them finish making their teams. and see were the future leads us.

Regards.
Eldarian Nefemunia

Before arguing with your statement, what happened with EQMAC, how long did it live and what was the average playerbase, and what content exactly was being promoted ?

its still alive average player base is 2500-3000 i believe and it runs classic to pop expac. its really fun. but i see you just want to argue for the sake or argument? If so you win and let us move on.

haha eqmac population is lower than sod. around 150-200 primetime now. and before windows players started playing it, it was closer to 75ish

I know it would never happen, but as the server is taking a slow decline in player base, what about the idea of doing one massive unbanning of all toons, if they continue with their rotten ways they will get banned as before, if not, hey we have more population and possibly more people coming back to play with their friends and also a fair possibility of much needed funds for the server. Also give donors ability to load one extra character? Like i said, prob never happen but considering when I started playing there was an avg peak of 800 people online and low of 500 on average something needs done.

a mass 2nd chance Faledar I think thats a good idea but the answer would be "these people were banned for a good reason"

As a player, is it reasonable to expect a tell from staff members of "knock that shit off" or "explain yourself" before getting jailed or banned?
It depends on what the player is doing obviously.

I hate to tell you cops do not give warnings for speeding.

they also don't pull out their guns and execute someone on the spot.

Perhaps a careful and thorough deliberation (like Waldo said Eisley had) should take place between staff before the sentence? Meanwhile the offender in question waits in jail for the verdict.

Banning and un-banning people, jailing and then letting them go early just breads what we have today. "If you let him out then why not him?" and talk of favoritism springs up.

Maybe FWF would still be actively raiding if that had been done. Even though Eisley is un-banned it seems like their activity is a little low, blame it on summer-time, Diablo 3, or 50% off at the local whore-house, whatever. But his banning (despite being lifted) had a substantial effect on that guild and the activity of the server as a whole. Only a small handful of original CW remain from who broke into spires. We see them on the forums but they quit because concerns like Cinn's.

But I think the imbitterment between high end toons and staff is beyond repair and all stock is placed in the newer people. I hope we see more newer people. I hope the populations peak at 600-700 again and donations flow in. I love SOD. The Dev's made the best game I have ever seen, free or not. They took an outstanding foundation and built it up better than the original. But this thread isn't about the quality of content, it's about the policies.

Someone's 3 boxing a buff bot? Give em some time in jail the first time. Same person has now done it twice? A week.

Since the rule against /q'ing a buff bot to load another one only exists to make buffing with buff bots take longer, maybe you should just be allowed to have a few buff bots going. Radical idea, I know!

Also Eyate maybe you are ugly or something but plenty of people get pulled over for speeding or other minor vehicle & traffic law matters and are let off with a warning or a stern talking to.

I know it would never happen, but as the server is taking a slow decline in player base, what about the idea of doing one massive unbanning of all toons, if they continue with their rotten ways they will get banned as before, if not, hey we have more population and possibly more people coming back to play with their friends and also a fair possibility of much needed funds for the server. Also give donors ability to load one extra character? Like i said, prob never happen but considering when I started playing there was an avg peak of 800 people online and low of 500 on average something needs done.

That's a terrible idea. Also, how are you gonna let them know ? EMAILs ?

It seems like all people want is a system where the maximum punishment isn't the first choice.

The key to this quote is the word "seems". We already have a system where we try to be really understanding and work to encourage people to embrace the SoD community behavioral standards which almost everyone follows even beyond the ones enforced by the rules.

We don't broadcast every time we let someone off with a "don't do that again" or even a more clever/subtle suggestion for them to stop "before a GM notices" (said from a staff character in Dalayan Beginners guild chat with the staff character standing superGMinvis right in front of them).

What's really at stake here is that some people don't want *any* rules or enforcement, and they are attempting to achieve this incrementally. The infighting you see is a result of people disagreeing on what increments to argue and the few people who insist on defending their friend Arcibu to the point that they don't believe banning is appropriate for what could constitute a felony offense in the U.S. My advice to those people is: "don't convince Zaela to press criminal charges on him".

Well Tao the obvious solution here is just to unban Arcibu and file felony charges against him for his internet meltdown and related crimes.

Last edited:

I like parts of this post, and not so much others. Mass unbanning and monitoring I think would be a great idea tbh. As I mentioned in another post, if someone still plays here years after they were banned for one reason or another I think they should get that chance to play the toon they started with. If they are bad, they'll just get banned again. No harm done. Why make minor infractions so final?

As far as allowing donors load 3 chars, I'm not such a huge fan. Maybe in towns as I've seen asked before, for buffing and such, but actual play 2 should be the max for everyone. I know I would definitely donate to load in buffbots while 2boxing. Could just be me though.

The ability to load a buff bot in cities as a donator would be absolutely amazing, but the problem is, how long until it's abused?

The ability to load a buff bot in cities as a donator would be absolutely amazing, but the problem is, how long until it's abused?

Exactly. What constitutes a city? Someplace you can bind? So Remnants counts as a city... etc.. etc..
Some of the defenses I could see right off for 3 boxing. Just a pipe dream to have buff bots a little less time consuming.

Only way it would work would be something in black and white "You may only load a 3rd client purely for the purpose of buffing in Sadri and Athica. That is it. Period". Or something similar.

Yeah, you can just tighten up the definition of city to mean newport/sadri/athica and that's it (or some other similar short list).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom