#Youthinkyoudobutyoudont

I wouldn't say 10,000 concurrent players on a single server, out of a game that had millions (even just in the west, if we're discounting the Asian players who wouldn't necessarily play on an English language nostalgia server), is a particularly noteworthy number. The guy's statement is elitist (the traditional meaning of elitist, not in the sense of opposing casual) and condescending, but you can be sure that the bean counters at the behemoth that is Blizzard won't shed a single tear over 10,000 potential nostalgia subs. Even if subs are low now, they're still the gorilla, and they may even be willingly allowing WoW to wither away, now that they have other ventures to turn a profit on (Hearthstone, Overwatch, Heroes of the Storm).

I honestly think he's kind of right. I sure as hell don't want to go back to Vanilla WoW, where 18 of the 27 talent trees aren't just sub-optimal in PvE, but some are downright broken. And then there's the extremely limited content. I sure as hell don't want to go back to farming the same 2 or 5 daily heroics just to gear up to do a raid once a week; and that's in WotLK, where I had the most fun of any of my characters as a tree waddling around healing things. Vanilla had even less to do. This is, incidentally, the same problem I have with P99: what's left to do once you hit max level? And that's given they're at Velious, two expansions in (and Velious at least had some tiered/gated content to progress through).

At least Dalaya goes as far as PoP, where AAs give you a personal reward for helping friends out with things you don't otherwise benefit from (you can only farm the same content, which drops nothing for you, out of sheer friendship before it gets rote). Whether or not it is still Enough Content, or instead goes too far with the tiered raiding, given the low population, I can't yet say, being only new to the server myself.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say 10,000 concurrent players on a single server is a particularly noteworthy number.

You do know what game boards you're posting in correct?

The guy's statement is elitist

I sure as hell don't want to go back to Vanilla WoW

The funny thing about nostalgia is it brings back more powerful sentimental longing or wishful affection for past experience you come in contact with first.

I am assuming you are close to 30 years of age and everquest was your first MMO simply because you made an account on this message board. Obviously this isn't the case for everyone. There is also the outliers such as Tev who is 12 years old. However they can mostly be explained by their parents caring for Everquest as they grew up more than them.

Basically I just want you to understand that you just made a post on on message board for a game that is pushing maybe 100(?) population on a good night making the claim that 10,000 population on an emulated server is nothing. You then went on to say that eq is better than wow because it gives you more of a nostalgia factor. People enjoy different things for different reason. Let's just hug it out man.

Oh yeah, I'm also assuming you're a man.

Basically I just want you to understand that you just made a post on on message board for a game that is pushing maybe 100(?) population on a good night making the claim that 10,000 population on an emulated server is nothing.

It's not about absolute numbers, but relative numbers. 10,000 people want to go back to vanilla WoW, out of how many millions that played it (even as their first MMO experience)? That said, I will admit Dalaya isn't any stronger on relative numbers, given EQ's live subscriptions during the Luclin/PoP era, or through OoW and DoN days.

I also point out that isn't just about numbers , but actual quality of the gameplay. That's where vanilla WoW fails: other than the ridiculousness that is badge/point farming, WotLK really was an overall better experience than vanilla. Fewer bugs, more class options (because fewer non-viable talent trees). Ironically, I have to admit it does fail on breadth of content (the game as a whole), because not only was there huge power resets each expansion, but even content releases within an expansion tend to trivialize all but the hardest of encounters from the previous content release. I could say that EQ's expansion release schedule spoiled me in that regard, even if 75% of content had poor risk:reward and were unpopulated.

Not really; I mean, I know why I'm here playing Dalaya (it isn't only because of nostalgia), but I don't yet know what the community here is actually like.

Incidentally, a large factor nostalgia isn't just the actual content or gameplay of these games, but the experiences we had playing them. But these experiences aren't solely the result of that content and gameplay; rather, who we played them with. We're all here chasing that dragon, and we might make new friends and experiences along the way, but we'll never get back the ones that cemented this nostalgia in us in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom