Cliff-Notes Version of the Dev Chat

DodoBot

Dalayan Elder
I am posting this to provide an abbreviated version of the development chat from last week. I did my own sorting to group common themes and cut out a lot of the irrelevant commentary. Be warned, it's still a wall of text, just a better organized one. Feel free to add or edit things in the case I missed something.

You can find the original post here:
https://shardsofdalaya.com/forum/threads/notes-from-march-2015-dev-discussion.29431/

Can you rank the relative development priorities of the following: New Client, New Raid / 6-Man Content, Class Balance, Encounter Balance, Ikisith 2.0 Release, Bugs, Other?

· Current Priorities are #1 Fixing Beastlords, #2 Releasing 2.5 Client Upgrade, #3 Fixing Bugs
o Obviously major bugs have to jump to the front of the line​
· Development is divided into two types of priorities: Core, and Content.
o Core does coding, bug fixing, major scripting, game mechanics, logic, etc.
o Content does quests, zones, and new ideas.
o There is an issue tracker that prioritizes things and sorts between bugs and features.​
· New content is coming out soon, some for high tier players, some for low levels
o Ikisith 2.0 is getting attention at present…
o Some fights are being adjusted.
§ These include Eniva the Troubadour, Blazewind Hard Mode​
o Highend Raiders will like the new encounter.​
· Aside from BL balance items, balance on monk itemization will be looked at but is on back burner.
o Specifically gloves dmg relative to tier balance may be looked at.​
· 15 minute timer on pet heals from Token of Major Lunar Agility will be looked at.

How does content development work?
· Content is usually owned by one dev who is responsible for it; however, Woldaff supervises.
· He or she conceptualizes things.
· Dev-Team figures out a tier for it.
· Items, monsters, and mechanics are added.
· If required, pieces of this are integrated into the Core-Team development work.
· The feature is tested until things don’t break.
· Items are then vetted before an initial release.
· This process is iterated as needed with feedback from the playerbase.

New client (Version 2.5) Specific Issues
· Very close, but some big bugs are holding these up.
· Jumbers may be tackling some of these (Taryth is ranking priorities for him now).
· Some EQemu people have helped in the past (Secrets, etc.), but Dalaya has a lot of peculiarities and people have their own commitments.
· New tradeskill system will probably be implemented in 2.5.
· New netcode in 2.5 should fix some issues with zone crashes and dropped packets.

What are the current proposed beastlord changes?

· DPS increase is a primary goal.
o Secondary goals are closer interaction between BL and pet, along with pet survivability and utility.​
· Optional changing of fights with WW and PS to not hit pets (all classes). Other AEs are a possibility on new fights, and will soon be added to old fights as an option too.
· Spirit of Tearing will may be adjusted at some point in the future.
· BL stances will be probably expanded in the future.
o /s 7 is not on the radar now. Staying as is for the moment.​
· Damage over time changes will be a damage buff.
o Plague removed; replaced with a cold based DOT – high dmg, low duration.​
· Adding stances – will hurt or sacrifice pet to empower BL.
o Will not kill pet like the SK tomes do.​
· Swarm pets will no longer target from F8 (as an enchanter, thank you god).
· Savagery, might see some changes, including with reagents, reagent con items.
· Watch for a new thread on these things.

How are we addressing the gaps between fresh 65 (Tier 0) and the start of the raiding game?

· Population at those levels not currently killing existing content is seen as the big driver.
· Current goon squad is seen as a success story for a 100% fresh start no ringers guild.
· New Tradeskill recipes will be implemented to fill gear gaps.

Are there plans to diminish the incentives to farm plat items?

· Taryth likes the idea of more content with decent pp dropables in it.
· No word on if there will be changes to existing (low plat) six mans.

What are plans for changes to the tome system?

· There are many plans in the works. I've sorted the discussion below.

Will the staff implement placeholder tomes?
· Two tomes are currently in agreement for a design with a third tome in the brainstorming phase.
o One of these is a priest class, one is a caster class, one is a melee class.​
· All PH tomes are going to be eventually implemented. Post your ideas if you have em.

Will currently under-performing tomes be changed to make them useful?
· These are being investigated but filling in the placeholder tomes is a larger priority.
· Ambuscade Expertise will be addressed at some point.
· Advanced Apiculture is considered underwhelming, but is on the back burner.
· Druid tomes in general will be adjusted at some point.

Are Tur’ruj tome trade-ins going to happen again?
· The R3/R4 tomes are deliberately hard to get.
· Trade-in system has been discussed – it isn’t ruled out but isn’t a priority.
o Vitali’s pseudo code for this would need modifications to be put in game.​
· It is considered a problem that certain fights greatly incentivize boxing in an old toon with rank 4 tomes in place of a comparable tier current character without them.
· There may be a change to the drop code to prevent rots instead of a turn-in system.
· TLDR; Tur’ruj R3/R4 tome rots are seen as a problem, but a path to fixing this is not yet on the horizon.

Will tomes be added to crumbling maps?
· Taryth likes the idea, but balance on these requires dev consensus.
· Other ideas like quest items and balance may be looked at as well.

What other issues are out there?

· All the devs really want to finish deity quests, but nobody has adopted them as a project.
o They could use all the help they can get. Ideas, and applications to [email protected]
· Food AC does work but won’t show up properly in your stats.
· Balance of channeling as a mod or possible adjustments to highend focus items down the road.
· Weight reduction is probably not a priority.

HUGE props to @Taryth, @Slaariel, and all the other staff who participated. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
· Current goon squad is seen as a success story for a 100% fresh start no ringers guild.

Together%20We%20Made%20It!.jpg

It was actually amusing to raid with dudes who had ZERO casting skills. Full mana bars of fizzles just to cast a heal!

Last edited:
I can't remember did you get your class 3 and 4 tomes with the old system when you could still exchange? I seem to remember GMs letting you trade them in at one point.
I got all mine in the current system, just assumed that line was about me because people typically box enchanters w/ OP calm 4 because of how much easier it makes some fights

I got all of my shaman tomes (ALL OF THE CLASS TOMES) done in the new system. confirmed best.

Back
Top Bottom